Intuitively understand the curl formula?

In summary: Sorry, I got sloppy. Ay and Ax are real valued, not vectors. So dAy/dx - dAx/dy can be 0. That was one of your original questions when you were wondering how dFy/dx - dFx/dy could be representing a vector.
yosimba2000
Ok, so I know the curl represents how much something rotates about an axis.

Let's assume we have a vector field F = Fx + Fy + Fz, where x y and z are direction vectors.

So the rotation about the Z axis is made possible by a change in the Y direction and a change in the X direction.

But the formula for the curl around the Z-axis is given by: dFy/dx - dFx/dy

I pulled that from Equation 3 here: http://www.maxwells-equations.com/curl/curl.php

How does this represent the rotation about the X axis? I'm reading dFy/dx - dFx/dy as:
The change in the Y vector along the X direction, and The change in the X vector along the Y direction.

How does this represent curl around the Z axis? Also, why is it dFy/dx - dFx/dy?

Shouldn't dFy/dx still be a vector pointing in the Y direction, and dFx/dy a vector pointing in the X direction? So you can't just subtract them because they are perpendicular to each other, right? It's like saying I have Velocity in the Y direction and Velocity in the X direction, so the net velocity is the Y direction minus the X direction, which is incorrect. You have to use Pythagorean's Theorem to find the net velocity, so shouldn't you do the same here? As in the net curl is going to be sqrt[(dFy/dx)^2 + (dFx/dy)^2]

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this other video which shows real world examples of curl via fluid flow:

jedishrfu said:
Okay, try this one where they relate the integral about a point to the curl:

http://mathinsight.org/circulation_unit_area_calculation

Thanks! There was a link going to another page about the curl from your link, which I think is great:
http://mathinsight.org/curl_components

Ok, so the curl, being here the counterclockwise rotation around the Z axis , is made possible if the upward Y force on the right is greater than the upward Y force on the left, and also made possible if the rightward X force on the bottom is greater than the rightward X force on the top.

And so the curl is defined as the change in force in Y over small dx - the change in force in X over small dy.

I understand the Z component of the force itself will not contribute to rotation about the Z axis, but if both the Y and X force vectors are both functions of X, Y, and Z, then shouldn't the net change in force in either direction have to be taken with respect to X Y and Z?

So when we look at the changes in Y force, we can't just look at the change in Y force as X changes, because although that contributes some, we also have changes in Y force as Y changes, and changes in Y force as Z changes, right?

yosimba2000 said:
How does this represent curl around the Z axis? Also, why is it dFy/dx - dFx/dy?

Shouldn't dFy/dx still be a vector pointing in the Y direction, and dFx/dy a vector pointing in the X direction?
No. If you look at the notation used in your link, it is dAy/dx - dAx/dy where Ay and Ax are not vectors. They are the coordinates of the A vector field in the y and x directions.

FactChecker said:
No. If you look at the notation used in your link, it is dAy/dx - dAx/dy where Ay and Ax are not vectors. They are the coordinates of the A vector field in the y and x directions.

But dAy/dx means the small change in Y vector field over small change x. So the change in vector field still has a direction?

yosimba2000 said:
But dAy/dx means the small change in Y vector field over small change x. So the change in vector field still has a direction?
It means a small change in the y-axis component of the vector field over a small change in x.

FactChecker said:
It means a small change in the y-axis component of the vector field over a small change in x.

Yes, sorry that's what I meant. So the change in the Y component of the field over small x still has a direction to it, right?

yosimba2000 said:
Yes, sorry that's what I meant. So the change in the Y component of the field over small x still has a direction to it, right?
Sorry, I got sloppy. Ay and Ax are real valued, not vectors. So dAy/dx - dAx/dy can be 0. That was one of your original questions when you were wondering how dFy/dx - dFx/dy could be 0.

1. What is the curl formula?

The curl formula, also known as the rotational or curl operator, is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to measure the rotation of a vector field. It is represented by the symbol ∇ × (del cross) and is used to calculate the tendency of a vector field to rotate around a point.

2. How is the curl formula used?

The curl formula is used to calculate the circulation of vector fields, which is the integral of the vector field along a closed curve. It is also used in electromagnetism to describe the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at a given point. Additionally, it is used in fluid dynamics to understand the flow of fluids.

3. What is the relationship between the gradient and curl formulas?

The gradient formula, represented by ∇ (del), is used to measure the change in a scalar field. The curl formula, on the other hand, is used to measure the rotation of a vector field. There is a strong relationship between these two formulas, as the gradient of a scalar field is always perpendicular to the curl of its vector field counterpart.

4. What are some real-world applications of the curl formula?

The curl formula has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and the motion of objects in 3D space. In computer graphics, it is used to create realistic 3D animations and simulations.

5. How can I intuitively understand the curl formula?

To intuitively understand the curl formula, it is helpful to visualize the concept of rotation. Imagine a small wheel rotating in a vector field - the curl of that field would be a measure of the rate of rotation of that wheel. Another way to understand it is to think of the curl as a measurement of how much the vector field is "twisting" or "curling" around a point. There are also many interactive online resources and visual demonstrations that can aid in understanding the concept of curl.