Invariance of Schrödinger's equation

In summary, the conversation is about the understanding of quantum physics and group theory, specifically in relation to Hamermesh's "Group Theory and Its Application to Physical Problems." The speaker is confused about an argument presented in the introduction of the book regarding the eigenvalues of u in the Schrödinger equation. They mention the parity operator and its eigenfunctions, as well as the assumption that the potential is an even function of x. The speaker is unsure about the validity of replacing x with -x and seeks clarification from others. They also mention consulting Volume III of Landau and Lifgarbagez for further understanding.
tommy01
I thought i had a basic to intermediate understanding of quantum physics and group theory, but when reading hamermesh's "group theory and it's application to physical problems" there's something in the introduction i don't understand.

first of all, i know the parity (or space inversion) operator and it's eigenfunctions. so from this point of view the example in the introduction is quit easy but i don't get hamermesh's argumentation.

he start's with the Schrödinger equation in one dimension:
"[tex]u''+[\lambda - V(x)]u = 0[/tex]
where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the eigenvalue of u.
one dimension => necessarily not degenerate." why?

"We assume that the potential is an even function of x. ([tex]V(x)=V(-x)[/tex])"

"replacing x by -x, we see, that if u(x) is a solution, so is u(-x)."
why?

what does he mean? is this a variable substitution [tex]x \rightarrow -x[/tex]
[tex]u''(-x)+[\lambda - V(-x)]u(-x) = 0 = u''(-x)+[\lambda - V(x)]u(-x)[/tex] ?
is such a substitution allowed?

sorry if the answer to my question is obvious but i don't get it at the moment.

thanks and greetings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings tommy01! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ :wink:)

Don't use x -> -x, it's too confusing.

Use x -> y, where y = -x.

Then d2u/dx2 = d2u/dy2,

so d2u/dx2 + (λ - V(x))u

= d2u/dy2 + (λ - V(-y))u :wink:

For understanding why the states ara not degenerate I suggest Volume III of L.D. Landau and Lifgarbagez chapter III search for "general properties of motion in one dimmension"

hi all.

thanks for your quick answer.
i'm going to consult landau and lifgarbagez.

Related to Invariance of Schrödinger's equation

1. What is the Invariance of Schrödinger's equation?

The Invariance of Schrödinger's equation refers to the fact that the mathematical form of the equation remains the same regardless of the reference frame or coordinates used to describe it. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Invariance of Schrödinger's equation related to symmetry?

The Invariance of Schrödinger's equation is closely related to the concept of symmetry in physics. Invariance means that the equation remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations or translations. This symmetry is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

3. Why is the Invariance of Schrödinger's equation important?

The Invariance of Schrödinger's equation is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems regardless of the reference frame or coordinates used. This is crucial for understanding the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Invariance of Schrödinger's equation?

There are some cases where the Invariance of Schrödinger's equation does not hold, such as in systems with strong interactions or high energies. In these cases, more complex equations, such as the Dirac equation, may be used to accurately describe the behavior of particles.

5. How does the Invariance of Schrödinger's equation relate to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Invariance of Schrödinger's equation is closely linked to the Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is not possible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The Invariance of the equation plays a crucial role in understanding and quantifying this uncertainty in quantum systems.