Inverse and composition of functions

In summary, there appears to be an error in the given question as the calculated answer does not match any of the given options.
terryds

Homework Statement

If ##f(2x-1)= 6x + 15## and ##g(3x+1)=\frac{2x-1}{3x-5}##, then what is ##f^{-1}\circ g^{-1}(3)## ?

a) -2
b) -3
c) -4
d) -5
e) -6

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the f inverse and g inverse is
##f^{-1}(6x+15)= 2x-1##
##g^{-1}(\frac{2x-1}{3x-5})=3x+1##

and,##f^{-1}\circ g^{-1}(3)=f^{-1}(g^{-1}(3))##

Then,

I equate ##\frac{2x-1}{3x-5}=3##
So, I get x = 2

So, ##g^{-1}(3)=3(2)+1=7##

Then, I equate ##6x+15=7##
And, I get x = 8/6 or 4/3

So, ##f^{-1}(7)=2(\frac{4}{3})-1=\frac{5}{3}## which does not appear in the options..
Please help me figure out what's wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's deal with ##g## first. Let the input (##3x+1##) be equal to ##u##. Then ##x=\frac{u-1}{3}##. So you have g(u) = something, and you have to find that something by expressing the output in terms of ##u##. Then try inverting the function.

PWiz said:
Let's deal with ##g## first. Let the input (##3x+1##) be equal to ##u##. Then ##x=\frac{u-1}{3}##. So you have g(u) = something, and you have to find that something by expressing the output in terms of ##u##. Then try inverting the function.
I get ##g(u)=\frac{2u-5}{3u-18}##
Then ##g^{-1}(x)=\frac{18x-5}{3x-2}##
So, ##g^{-1}(3)=7##

Then it'll be ##f^{-1}(7)=\frac{5}{3}##
The answer is -5 according to the book.. But, it doesn't give me the explanation.. :frown:

terryds said:
Then, I equate ##6x+15=7##
And, I get x = 8/6 or 4/3
That should be ##x=-4/3##. Still doesn't give the answer from the book though.

Likes terryds
Samy_A said:
That should be ##x=-4/3##. Still doesn't give the answer from the book though.
Yup, perhaps the question is wrong

terryds said:
Yup, perhaps the question is wrong
Or I'm missing something. I redid your calculation, and also did it like @PWiz suggested (for the two functions), but with both methods I get ##-11/3## as result.

Likes terryds
I just did the calculation myself. I'm getting -11/3 as the answer. I'm guessing something is wrong with the answer given.
EDIT: I see that @Samy_A has gotten the same result. That pretty much confirms that something is wrong with the question, since we both can't get the same wrong answer.

What is the definition of inverse and composition of functions?

The inverse of a function is a new function that undoes the original function. Composition of functions is the process of plugging one function into another to create a new function.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting equation is the inverse function.

What is the domain and range of a composite function?

The domain of a composite function is the set of all values that can be plugged into the innermost function. The range is the set of all resulting outputs from the composite function.

How do you determine if two functions are inverses of each other?

To determine if two functions are inverses, we can use the composition of functions to see if the result is the input value. If the composition results in the input value, then the functions are inverses.

Can you compose more than two functions together?

Yes, you can compose as many functions as needed. The order in which they are composed matters, so be sure to follow the correct order when plugging in the functions.