Is This the Correct Approach to Solving an Inverse Laplace Transform?

In summary, the conversation was about a homework problem involving inverse Laplace and a mistake made in decomposing a repeated linear factor. The expert provided a summary of the conversation and identified a mistake in the decomposition process. The conversation ended with the original poster expressing gratitude for the help.
Desii

Homework Statement

Could anyone please check my work, The answer is wrong. Correct Answer: e^2t(-t+e^t-1)

Homework Equations

Inverse Laplace

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my solution, please point out my mistakes. One mistake i found after taking the picture is: Its -2te^-2t ( third last step), Then my answer is just e^-t+e^-2t

http://postimage.org/image/mfzr6aom5/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Desii said:

Homework Statement

Could anyone please check my work, The answer is wrong. Correct Answer: e^2t(-t+e^t-1)

Homework Equations

Inverse Laplace

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my solution, please point out my mistakes. One mistake i found after taking the picture is: Its -2te^-2t ( third last step), Then my answer is just e^-t+e^-2t

http://postimage.org/image/mfzr6aom5/

You have a couple of mistakes near the beginning.

You have
$$ \frac{1}{(s + 1)^2(s + 1)^2} = \frac{A}{s+ 1} + \frac{Bs + C}{(s + 2)^2}$$

The first mistake is minor and probably a typo - you wrote (s + 1)2 in the first fraction when I think you meant (s + 2)2.

The second mistake is one of understanding. To decompose a repeated linear factor such as (s + 2)2 you do it like this:
$$ \frac{1}{(s + 1)^2(s + 2)^2} = \frac{A}{s+ 1} + \frac{B}{s + 2} + \frac{C}{(s + 2)^2}$$
The way you did it is for irreducible quadratics (i.e., quadratics with complex factors), not quadratics that are perfect squares.

After that I stopped looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotcha, Thanks mate. This solves the mystery :) and yes i meant (s+2)^2

Desii said:
Gotcha, Thanks mate. This solves the mystery :)
That's why they pay us the big bucks. Oh wait, they don't pay us at all!
Desii said:
and yes i meant (s+2)^2

Glad I could help...

Related to Is This the Correct Approach to Solving an Inverse Laplace Transform?

What is the Inverse Laplace Question?

The Inverse Laplace Question is a mathematical concept that involves finding the original function from its Laplace transform. This is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze the behavior of systems.

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used to simplify differential equations and make them easier to solve.

How do you find the inverse Laplace transform?

To find the inverse Laplace transform, you can use a table of common transforms or use algebraic methods to manipulate the Laplace transform equation and solve for the original function. You can also use numerical methods or software to calculate the inverse transform.

What is the significance of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is significant because it allows us to go from the frequency domain to the time domain, making it possible to analyze the behavior of systems and solve differential equations that involve complex functions.

What are some applications of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has many applications in engineering and physics, including analyzing electrical circuits, solving differential equations in control systems, and understanding the behavior of mechanical systems. It is also used in signal processing, circuit theory, and fluid dynamics.