Inverse Laplace Transformation of s/(s^2+2s+5)

In summary, Chet was trying to solve for the inverse laplace transformation of the function: \frac{s}{s^2+2s+5} but he wasn't sure how to go about it. He found the factors for the denominator and simplified it down to the real answer f(t) = (1/2)exp(-t){2cos(2t) - sin(t)}.
Umayer

Homework Statement

I have some problem finding the inverse laplace transformation of the function: [tex]\frac{s}{s^2+2s+5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/laplacetransform/LaplaceTransformMod/Images/Table.12.2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to factorise the denominator: [tex]\frac{s}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good start. Now write the s in the numerator as (s+1)-1, and then separate the expression into two fractions.

Chet

Likes 1 person
You mean like this?
[tex]\frac{s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2} - \frac{1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

The inverse laplace of the first term would be I think then: [tex]e^{-t}*cos(2t)[/tex]

But I'm not so sure what to do then since I don't recognize the term in the table, would is be something like this?
[tex] - \frac{0s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

So the second term doesn't have an inverse? Oh and thanks for responding!

Last edited:
Umayer said:
You mean like this?
[tex]\frac{s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2} - \frac{1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

The inverse laplace of the first term would be I think then: [tex]e^{-t}*cos(2t)[/tex]
Looks good.
But I'm not so sure what to do then since I don't recognize the term in the table, would is be something like this?
[tex] - \frac{0s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

So the second term doesn't have an inverse? Oh and thanks for responding!
Would you recognize it if it were written:
$$-\frac{1}{2} \frac{2}{(s + 1)^2 + 2^2}$$
?

Likes 1 person
Yes now I see it, thanks!

Or, you could have factored the denominator s^2 + 2s + 5 = (s + a)(s + b), then done a partial fraction expansion into
F = s/(s^2 + 2s + 5) = A/(s+a) + B/(s+b).

We all know 1/(s+a) transforms to exp(-at).

The discriminant is a negative number so it cannot be factorised. At least to my knowledge.

Umayer said:
The discriminant is a negative number so it cannot be factorised. At least to my knowledge.

F(s) = s/(s2 + 2s + 5)

The factors for the denominator are a,b = 1 +/- j2.
So we get A/(s + 1 + j2) + B/(s + 1 - j2) → Aexp(-1 + j2)t + Bexp(-1 - j2)t

with A = (-1 + j2)/j4 and B = -(-1 - j2)/j4

and by using Euler's formula plus some algebra you can reduce this to the real answer
f(t) = (1/2)exp(-t){2cos(2t) - sin(t)}.

It's a bit messy but how did you work with 2/[(s+1)2 + 22] without looking it up?

Likes 1 person
I did thought of doing that way but I felt that it would take more time doing that method plus my book and my teacher never showed doing that way. But thanks for showing that it's possible to work with imaginary numbers!

Related to Inverse Laplace Transformation of s/(s^2+2s+5)

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It is used to find the original function from its Laplace transform.

2. How is the inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is typically calculated using partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, or the convolution theorem. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function being transformed.

3. What is the purpose of finding the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is used in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in the study of systems and signals. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of systems in the time domain, which is often more intuitive and practical than the Laplace domain.

4. Can all functions be transformed using the inverse Laplace transform?

Not all functions have a Laplace transform, and therefore cannot be transformed back to the time domain using the inverse Laplace transform. This is because the Laplace transform requires certain conditions to be met, such as the function being continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with finding the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can help with finding the inverse Laplace transform. Additionally, there are textbooks and online resources that provide step-by-step instructions and examples on how to find the inverse Laplace transform using different methods.