Inverse ODE, Green's Functions, and series solution

In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for solving a simple eigenvalue problem, one involving an inverse problem and the other using basis functions. The question is raised whether the basis functions need to satisfy the boundary conditions, to which the expert responds that it is not necessary but can accelerate convergence. The expert also mentions that the convergence of coefficients is typically slower with basis functions.
member 428835
Hi PF!

One way to solve a simple eigenvalue problem like
$$y''(x)+\lambda y(x) = 0,\\
y(0)=y(1)=0$$
(I realize the solution's amplitude can be however large, but my point here is not to focus on that) is to solve the inverse problem. If we say ##A[u(x)] \equiv d^2_x u(x)## and ##B[u(x)] \equiv u(x)## then we also know that $$A^{-1}[u(x)] = \int_0^1Gu(x)\, dx,\\ B^{-1}[u(x)] = u(x)$$
where ##G## is the Green's function to the original ODE and BC.

One way to solve this problem is to let ##u(x) = \sum_{i=1}^N a_i\phi_i(x)## where ##\phi_i## is predetermined function of ##x## and ##a_i## is to be determined. This problem is know to be solved via

$$(\beta - \lambda \alpha)\textbf{ a} = \textbf{ 0},\\
\beta_{ij} =\left(B^{-1}[\phi_i],\phi_j\right) ,\\
\alpha_{ij}= \left(A^{-1}[\phi_i],\phi_j\right)$$
where ##(,)## denotes inner products and ##\textbf a## denotes the series coefficients ##a_i##. After solving this algebraic eigenvalue problem we use vector components of ##\textbf a## to approximate ##u## as a series (shown above).

My question is, since the Green's function ##G## uses the boundary conditions, is there a restriction on the selection of ##\phi_i## that requires it satisfy the boundary? In other words, can ##\phi_i = x^i## or must it be something like ##\phi_i=x^i(x-1)##?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not necessary that your basis functions obey the boundary conditions. Your set of basis functions must of course be "complete" in the sense that your solution can be expressed in the form ##u(x)=\sum_{i=1}^N a_i \phi_i(x)##. However, from the numerical point of view it can be advantageous, since it can accelerate the convergence.

Likes member 428835
eys_physics said:
No, it is not necessary that your basis functions obey the boundary conditions. Your set of basis functions must of course be "complete" in the sense that your solution can be expressed in the form ##u(x)=\sum_{i=1}^N a_i \phi_i(x)##. However, from the numerical point of view it can be advantageous, since it can accelerate the convergence.
This is what I thought, but are you sure? Attached is a plot where I have basis functions ##\phi_i = x^i##. In one case I've recombined each ##x^i## beforehand and defined ##\phi_i## to be these recombined polynomials such that they automatically satisfy the boundary conditions. Another case I simply use ##\phi_i##.

Notice recombining satisfies boundaries, but not recombining does not. Additionally, both techniques give the correct eigenvalues. It seems recombining is necessary; can you explain why not recombining won't work?

Attachments

• norecombine.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 363
  • recombine.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 414
If you impose the boundary conditions the function ##u(x)## will satisfy them for all ##n## (i.e. the number of basis functions). On the other hand with basis functions ##\phi_i(x)=x^i##, the boundary conditions will be satisfied by your converged solution, i.e. if ##n## is large enough. Therefore, if you continue to increase ##n##, you should approach a solution satisfying the boundary conditions. Furthermore, the convergence of the coefficients in the expansion is typically slower than for the eigenvalue.

Likes member 428835
eys_physics said:
If you impose the boundary conditions the function ##u(x)## will satisfy them for all ##n## (i.e. the number of basis functions). On the other hand with basis functions ##\phi_i(x)=x^i##, the boundary conditions will be satisfied by your converged solution, i.e. if ##n## is large enough. Therefore, if you continue to increase ##n##, you should approach a solution satisfying the boundary conditions. Furthermore, the convergence of the coefficients in the expansion is typically slower than for the eigenvalue.
Thanks so much! I'm kind of disappointed I didn't think of trying this. That being said, do you have any literature on what you just said?

Again, thank you so much! You're a lifesaver :partytime:

1. What is an inverse ODE?

An inverse ODE is a type of differential equation where the solution is sought in terms of the independent variable, rather than the dependent variable. This means that instead of solving for the function itself, we solve for the input that would produce a given output.

2. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve linear differential equations with non-homogeneous boundary conditions. It is a function that satisfies a certain differential equation and boundary conditions, and can be used to find the solution to a more complex differential equation.

3. How do series solutions work?

Series solutions involve representing a function as an infinite sum of simpler functions, such as polynomials. This allows us to approximate the solution to a differential equation by adding together an increasing number of terms in the series until we reach a desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the benefits of using Green's functions?

Green's functions provide a powerful method for solving differential equations with non-homogeneous boundary conditions, which are difficult to solve using other methods. They also allow for the solution to be represented in a more general form, making it easier to apply to a variety of problems.

5. How are Green's functions used in applications?

Green's functions have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used in the study of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. They also have applications in signal processing and image reconstruction.