Inverse of Giant $7 \times 7$ Matrix: Tips & Tricks

• MHB
  • Thread starter A.Magnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a giant $7 \times 7$ matrix and explores different methods, including using the transpose, an orthogonal matrix, and the Gauss-Jordan method. The most efficient solution is found by multiplying the matrix by its inverse to equal the identity matrix. The transpose and orthogonal properties of the matrix are also mentioned.
A.Magnus
How do I go about find out the inverse of this giant $7 \times 7$ matrix? Do I need to evaluate it using the tedious Gauss-Jordan method? Any property, short-cut, trick that I can take advantage of?

$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 &1 &0 &0 &0 &0 &0\\
0 &0 &0 &1 &0 &0 &0\\
0 &0 &0 &0 &0 &0 &1\\
0 &0 &0 &0 &0 &1 &0\\
0 &0 &1 &0 &0 &0 &0\\
0 &0 &0 &0 &1 &0 &0\\
1 &0 &0 &0 &0 &0 &0\\
\end{pmatrix}$$

Your time and gracious help is very much appreciated? Thank you. ~MA

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets call the matrix you gave $A$. What is the transpose of $A$? That's your answer but I'm not immediately sure how to prove that.

Are you supposed to be finding a shortcut or fast method? It would seem unlikely that finding the inverse of a matrix of this size would be a homework task to be done by hand?

Hey MaryAnn! ;)

Are you familiar, or do your notes say something about an Orthogonal matrix?

I like Serena said:
Hey MaryAnn! ;)

Are you familiar, or do your notes say something about an Orthogonal matrix?

No, we don't have it. I checked textbook's index but could not find any orthogonal matrix entry. But anyway, I found out the least tedious solution: Assuming the matrix is $X$ and its inverse is $Y$, then $XY = I$. Then using the definition of multiplication of matrix, I expanded the seven entries of the diagonal of $I$ (since they are all non-zero) to come up with the $y_{ij}$ that are non-zero. The rest of $y_{ij}$ are zero. Thank you though for pitching in, thanks for your gracious help and time. ~MA

- - - Updated - - -

greg1313 said:
Lets call the matrix you gave $A$. What is the transpose of $A$? That's your answer but I'm not immediately sure how to prove that.

I did that, but its transpose did not take me anywhere. Thank you though for your gracious help, and time. ~MA

- - - Updated - - -

Joppy said:
Are you supposed to be finding a shortcut or fast method? It would seem unlikely that finding the inverse of a matrix of this size would be a homework task to be done by hand?

I think I found the least tedious solution, see my response to I Like Serena. Thank you though for your gracious help, and for your time. ~MA

MaryAnn said:
No, we don't have it. I checked textbook's index but could not find any orthogonal matrix entry. But anyway, I found out the least tedious solution: Assuming the matrix is $X$ and its inverse is $Y$, then $XY = I$. Then using the definition of multiplication of matrix, I expanded the seven entries of the diagonal of $I$ (since they are all non-zero) to come up with the $y_{ij}$ that are non-zero. The rest of $y_{ij}$ are zero. Thank you though for pitching in, thanks for your gracious help and time. ~MA

That works as well.
For the record, your matrix is orthogonal because each column vector has unit length, and because each pair of column vectors is orthogonal.
As a consequence the inverse is simply the transpose as greg1313 mentioned. (Mmm)

It doesn't look to me like "Gauss-Jordan" will be all that tedious. You should be able to do some obvious "swaps" of two rows to get the matrix to the identity matrix,

I like Serena said:
That works as well.
For the record, your matrix is orthogonal because each column vector has unit length, and because each pair of column vectors is orthogonal.
As a consequence the inverse is simply the transpose as greg1313 mentioned. (Mmm)

Thank you again for your gracious help. ~MA

- - - Updated - - -

HallsofIvy said:
It doesn't look to me like "Gauss-Jordan" will be all that tedious. You should be able to do some obvious "swaps" of two rows to get the matrix to the identity matrix,

Thank you for your gracious comment. ~MA

What is the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix?

The inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix is another matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix with dimensions $7 \times 7$. In simpler terms, the inverse undoes the effects of the original matrix.

Why is finding the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows for the solution of linear systems of equations, which have applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It is also essential in solving optimization problems and in finding determinants and eigenvalues.

What are some tips for finding the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix?

One tip is to first check if the matrix is invertible by calculating its determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. Another tip is to use row operations such as swapping rows, multiplying rows by a constant, and adding multiples of one row to another to simplify the matrix before using the inverse matrix formula.

Are there any tricks for finding the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix?

Yes, there are a few tricks that can make finding the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix easier. One is to use the adjugate matrix, which is related to the inverse matrix and can be found by finding the cofactors of the original matrix. Another trick is to use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, which can quickly reduce the matrix to its reduced row-echelon form and find the inverse.

Is there a shortcut for finding the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for finding the inverse of a $7 \times 7$ matrix. The process involves many calculations and can be time-consuming. However, with practice and familiarity with the process, finding the inverse can become more efficient and less daunting.