Inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation

In summary, the authors discuss unitary transformation corresponding to a Lorentz transformation and define S as 1 - (i/2) \omega \cdot \Sigma with \Sigma defined as (i/4) [ \gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu]. The first question is if S can be inverted by changing the sign of \omega, and the second question is if (\gamma^\mu)^\dagger = \gamma^\mu. The answers are yes and no, respectively.
Gene Naden
I am working through Lessons in Particle Physics by Luis Anchordoqui and Francis Halzen. The link is https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf. I am on page 21. Between equations (1.5.53) and (1.5.54), the authors make the following statement:
##S^\dagger ( \Lambda ) = \gamma ^0 S^{-1} ( \Lambda ) \gamma ^0##

Here ##S## is the unitary transformation corresponding to a Lorentz transformation and
##\Lambda## is the Lorentz transformation.

They give the following definition for ##S##:
##S = 1 - \frac{i}{2} \omega_{\mu\nu} \Sigma^{\mu\nu}##
where ##\Sigma^{\mu\nu}## is defined as ##\frac{i}{4} [ \gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu]##
My first question has to do with ##S^{-1}##: Can I invert ##S## by changing the sign of the ##\omega##?
Second, can I assume that ##(\gamma^\mu)^\dagger = \gamma^\mu##
I see that this is true in the "standard" representation for ##\gamma^\mu##. Is it true in general?

As always, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I went ahead with the assumption that ##S^{-1}=1+\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu} \Sigma^{\mu\nu}##. This led me to the conclusion that, for
##S^\dagger ( \Lambda ) = \gamma ^0 S^{-1} ( \Lambda ) \gamma ^0## to be true, it must be the case that
##[\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu] = \gamma^0[\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu]\gamma^0##
So I tried to prove this and failed. Anyway, the equality looks false because multiplying before and after by ##\gamma^0## changes the sign for a lot of values of ##\mu## and ##\nu##.

Any help would be appreciated.

I can’t help you because this is way above my level, but I can say (because I’ve gone through the algebra and seen it despite it being “obvious”) that in the Freshmen version of relativity, if you start with x = γ(x’+vt’) and solve for x’, you will get x’ = γ(x - vt). (as long as you don’t forget to substitute for t’ as you go).

Last edited:
Gene Naden said:
[itex]S^\dagger ( \Lambda ) = \gamma ^0 S^{-1} ( \Lambda ) \gamma ^0[/itex]

Here [itex]S[/itex] is the unitary transformation corresponding to a Lorentz transformation and
[itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the Lorentz transformation.

How can [itex]S[/itex] be unitary when [itex]S^{\dagger} = \gamma^{0} S^{-1}\gamma^{0} \neq S^{-1}[/itex]? The matrix [itex]S(\Lambda)[/itex] cannot be unitary because Lorentz group is non-compact.
Gene Naden said:
They give the following definition for S:
[itex]S=1 - \frac{i}{2} \omega_{\mu\nu} \Sigma^{\mu\nu}[/itex]
where [itex]\Sigma^{\mu\nu}[/itex] is defined as [itex]\frac{i}{4} [ \gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu][/itex]
No, this expression for [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is not a definition, because it can be proved.
Gene Naden said:
My first question has to do with S. Can I invert [itex]S[/itex] by changing the sign of the [itex]\omega[/itex]?
Yes, because [itex]S(\Lambda)S(\Lambda^{-1}) = S(\Lambda \Lambda^{-1}) = 1 \ \Rightarrow \ S^{-1}(\Lambda ) = S( \Lambda^{-1})[/itex]. So, if you write [itex]\Lambda = 1 + \omega[/itex], then to first order you have [itex]\Lambda^{-1} = 1 - \omega[/itex]. Also, if you choose [itex]S(\Lambda ) = 1 - (i/2) \omega \cdot \Sigma[/itex], then [itex]S^{-1}(\Lambda) = 1 + (i/2) \omega \cdot \Sigma[/itex].
Gene Naden said:
Second, can I assume that [itex](\gamma^\mu)^\dagger = \gamma^\mu[/itex]
No, you cannot “assume” that. The relation [itex](\gamma^{\mu})^{\dagger} = \gamma^{0} \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{0}[/itex] holds in any representation.

Likes Gene Naden
Thank for the "tough love." I see that S is not unitary. The relation ##(\gamma^{\mu})^{\dagger} = \gamma^{0} \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{0}## seems to be the key. The authors use a special symbol to denote that the formula for ##\Sigma## is a definition. I appreciate your quick response.

Yes that solves it. Thanks again.

What is an inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation?

The inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is a mathematical operation that reverses the effects of a Lorentz transformation. It is used to transform coordinates and measurements between two reference frames in special relativity.

How is the inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation calculated?

The inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is calculated by taking the negative of the velocity in the transformation equation, as well as changing the sign of the distance in the transformation equation. This is represented by the minus sign in the transformation matrix.

Why is the inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation important?

The inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is important because it allows for the transformation of measurements and coordinates between reference frames in special relativity, which is essential for understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and its inverse?

The main difference between a Lorentz transformation and its inverse is the direction of the transformation. A Lorentz transformation is used to transform coordinates and measurements from one reference frame to another, while its inverse is used to transform back to the original reference frame.

Can the inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation be applied to any reference frame?

Yes, the inverse of infinitesimal Lorentz transformation can be applied to any reference frame, as long as the frame is in relative motion to another frame and the principles of special relativity apply.