Inverse Square Law, Temperature Change, and Heat Source Temp

In summary, the inverse square law affects the rate of temperature increase of an object from thermal radiation. The flux falls off by the inverse square law because of geometry, and the rate of temperature increase depends on how much of the flux is absorbed by the target and it's specific heat. A blackbody target will absorb the lot, otherwise you need the energy absorbtion profile.
GvZ
I've been trying to wrap my head around the relationship between temperature increase of an object at a distance and temperature of a heat source. From what I've found, the temperature increase of an object from thermal radiation is affected by the inverse square law. http://m.nsa.gov/academia/_files/collected_learning/high_school/statistics/temp_distance_lab.pdf seems to show an inverse-square relationship between temperature change and increasing distance, and I've found similar answers elsewhere.

Is it possible to determine the temperature of a heat source based on temperature increase of an object a certain distance away? Would this work for much larger scales? For example, if an object (say, in a vacuum to keep things simple) is 500 radii away from the heat source and experiences a temperature increase from 298 K to 300 K, does that mean the temperature of the heat source is (300 K * 500^2) = 75,000,000 K?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The rate of thermal radiation depends on the 4th power of it's temperature (for a blackbody).
The flux falls off by the inverse square law because of geometry.
The rate of temperature increase depends on how much of the flux is absorbed by the target and it's specific heat.
A blackbody target will absorb the lot, otherwise you need the energy absorbtion profile.
But, in principle, the temperature increase of a local object is related to the temperature of a distant object - it is difficult, in general, to account for the effect of all possible alternative heat sources on local temperature. It is usual to determine the temperature of a distant object from it's spectrum.

I had no idea there was a Sci-Fi and Fantasy sub-forum here. I was involved in a discussion about a fictional weapon heating the atmosphere to create a warm front and wanted to quantify how hot a heat source would have to be to heat the atmosphere 4,000 radii away by 10 K. I know this wouldn't make any sense in real life, but I was wondering if this method could work to get a reasonable estimate or a minimum for the hypothetical temperature. Should I move to that sub-forum, or is it not accurate gauge heat source temperature this way?

1. What is the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is a principle in physics that states that the intensity of a physical quantity, such as light or sound, is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases by a factor of 1/distance squared.

2. How does the Inverse Square Law relate to temperature change?

The Inverse Square Law is applicable to temperature change because the amount of heat energy radiated from an object is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from that object. This means that as the distance from the heat source increases, the temperature change is reduced by a factor of 1/distance squared.

3. Can the Inverse Square Law be used to calculate temperature change?

Yes, the Inverse Square Law can be used to calculate temperature change as long as the source of heat is constant and the distance from the source is known. By using this law, the temperature change can be predicted at any given distance from the heat source.

4. How does the temperature of a heat source affect the temperature change?

The temperature of a heat source plays a crucial role in determining the temperature change. According to the Inverse Square Law, as the temperature of the heat source increases, the temperature change at a given distance will also increase. This is because a hotter heat source will emit more heat energy.

5. Is the Inverse Square Law applicable to all types of heat sources?

Yes, the Inverse Square Law is a fundamental principle in physics and is applicable to all types of heat sources, including natural sources like the sun or artificial sources like a heater. As long as the source of heat follows the laws of thermodynamics, the Inverse Square Law can be applied to calculate temperature change.