Simultaneous heating and cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of combining two equations - one for heating and one for cooling - into a single equation. The suggested solution is to write down the rate at which heat energy is transferred and solve for the temperature as a function of time. However, this approach only works if a value for k is known and the desired temperature is lower than the final steady state temperature.
fishspawned
I am having trouble wrapping my head around a particular problem I am thinking about.

Consider that I have a heating source that I can describe in terms of either degrees Celcius / second or Joules / second, but essentially I am able to determine a fixed heating rate.

Let's say:
dT/dt = 5 degrees / second

If I have an object in a room with a specific ambient temperature, it would also be experience simultaneous cooling, which is determined [i assume] through Newton's Law of Cooling, namely:

T = (To - Troom)e-kt + Troom

Where k is a constant and Troom is the ambient temperature, also fixed.
The issue is how to combine these two things into one equation because with Newton's Law of Cooling, the assumption is that you start from a fixed initial temperature, To. But if it is being heated, then To is going to be changing as it gets warmed up, assuming the heating rate is larger than the cooling rate.

So I am hoping someone can offer some help in how this can be reconciled in some way - or is this simply regulated to hands on testing of the object to see what happens in the real world?

Science news on Phys.org
fishspawned said:
The issue is how to combine these two things into one equation because with Newton's Law of Cooling, the assumption is that you start from a fixed initial temperature, To. But if it is being heated, then To is going to be changing as it gets warmed up, assuming the heating rate is larger than the cooling rate.
Write down the rate at which heat energy is transferred from the source to the object and from the object to the room at time t as a function of the temperatures at time t. That will give you a differential equation that can be solved for the temperature as a function of time.

(That Newton's Law of Cooling you cite is itself the result of solving that differential equation, for the special case in which no heat is being added to the object).

Nugatory,
So, if I have what you are saying right, I am starting with

dT/dt = -kT(t) + kTroom + c

where k is a constant for cooling and c is a constant for the heating rate [as it is not affected by the temperature difference]. This seems to show that the rate of cooling is proportional to the difference between the temp and the ambient temp at any given time.

which I think can be rewritten as

dT = [-kT(t) + kTroom + c]dt

OR
since i am really looking for how long this takes to get to a specific temperature...

dt = dT/[-kT(t) + kTroom + c]

so am i able to integrate from some starting temperature to a final desired temperature and then get how long it would take?

fishspawned said:
Nugatory,
So, if I have what you are saying right, I am starting with

dT/dt = -kT(t) + kTroom + c

where k is a constant for cooling and c is a constant for the heating rate [as it is not affected by the temperature difference]. This seems to show that the rate of cooling is proportional to the difference between the temp and the ambient temp at any given time.

which I think can be rewritten as

dT = [-kT(t) + kTroom + c]dt

OR
since i am really looking for how long this takes to get to a specific temperature...

dt = dT/[-kT(t) + kTroom + c]

so am i able to integrate from some starting temperature to a final desired temperature and then get how long it would take?
Sure, as long as you know a value for k and as long as the desired temperature is not higher than the final steady state temperature.

1. What is simultaneous heating and cooling?

Simultaneous heating and cooling is a process in which a system is able to both heat and cool at the same time. This is achieved by utilizing two separate heat exchangers, one for heating and one for cooling, within the same system.

2. How does simultaneous heating and cooling work?

Simultaneous heating and cooling works by using a heat pump to transfer heat from one heat exchanger to another. The heat pump is able to switch between heating and cooling modes, allowing for both processes to occur simultaneously.

3. What are the benefits of simultaneous heating and cooling?

The main benefit of simultaneous heating and cooling is increased energy efficiency. By using one system for both processes, there is less energy wasted and overall energy costs can be reduced. It also allows for better temperature control and comfort in a building or space.

4. What types of systems can use simultaneous heating and cooling?

Simultaneous heating and cooling can be used in various types of systems, including air conditioning systems, heat pumps, and geothermal systems. It is most commonly used in commercial buildings, but can also be implemented in residential buildings.

5. Are there any limitations to simultaneous heating and cooling?

While simultaneous heating and cooling can be a highly efficient process, it does have some limitations. The system may not be able to provide both heating and cooling at maximum capacity simultaneously, and it may also require more maintenance and upkeep compared to traditional heating or cooling systems.