Invertibility of Symplectic Matrices

In summary: And if you write C for the matrix of your nondegenerate bilinear form with respect to an arbitrary basis, then C=S^tCS. In particular, detC = detA * detB, so that detC!=0. In summary, symplectic matrices are invertible skew-symmetric nxn-matrices with certain properties. There is an easy way to see this by using the matrix of the symplectic form. Symplectic forms are a generalization of inner products and norms. The nondegeneracy condition is important in showing the invertibility of the symplectic matrix, and it is basis-independent.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, All:

The Wikipedia page on symplectic matrices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symplectic_vector_space ,

claims that symplectic matrices are invertible

, i.e., skew-symmetric nxn-

matrix with entries w(b_i,b_j) , satisfying the properties:

i)w(b_i,b_i)=0

ii)w(b_i,b_j)=-w(b_j,b_i)

iii)w(b_i,.)=0 , i.e., w(b_i,b_j)=0 for all b_j

are invertible.

Even for small n , calculating the determinant seems to get out of hand;

Is there an easy way of seeing this?

TIA

Thanks.

iii)w(bi,.)=0 , then bi=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Call the matrix of your symplectic form J. Then a matrix A is symplectic (wrt your form) iff A^t J A = J. From this you get (detA)^2 = 1, since det J != 0 (which is because J is coming from nondegenerate bilinear form). In particular, detA=+/-1 is nonzero.

In fact, you can show that detA=1, but this much more difficult...

A couple of followup questions:

i)AFAIK, symplectic forms and symmetric/quadratic forms represent a generalization of

, I think it was inner-product and maybe the norm or length, maybe even a metric;

anyone know?

TIA.

morphism said:
Call the matrix of your symplectic form J. Then a matrix A is symplectic (wrt your form) iff A^t J A = J. From this you get (detA)^2 = 1, since det J != 0 (which is because J is coming from nondegenerate bilinear form). In particular, detA=+/-1 is nonzero.

In fact, you can show that detA=1, but this much more difficult...

Thanks, morphism, but I was actually trying to show that J itself is nonsingular; I don't see

how the nondegeneracy condition helps show invertibility. I guess one could choose a basis

{b1,..,bn}, and then set up something like:

w(bi,bj)=biTJbj , where T is the matrix (w_ij:=w(bi,bj)) , for the above choice

of basis {b1,b2,..,bn} and then w(bi,bj)=0 for all bj only if bi=0 . Maybe we can

also set up a symplectic basis {b1',b2',..,bn'} , i.e., a basis so that w(bi',bj')=

δi'j' . But then the result may be basis-dependent.

Any Ideas?

WWGD said:
A couple of followup questions:

i)AFAIK, symplectic forms and symmetric/quadratic forms represent a generalization of

, I think it was inner-product and maybe the norm or length, maybe even a metric;

anyone know?

TIA.
A symplectic form is a nondegenerate skew-symmetric bilinear form.
A (real) inner product is a nondegenerate symmetric bilinear form. (Well, it's not just nondegenerate - it's positive-definite.)

WWGD said:
Thanks, morphism, but I was actually trying to show that J itself is nonsingular; I don't see

how the nondegeneracy condition helps show invertibility. I guess one could choose a basis

{b1,..,bn}, and then set up something like:

w(bi,bj)=biTJbj , where T is the matrix (w_ij:=w(bi,bj)) , for the above choice

of basis {b1,b2,..,bn} and then w(bi,bj)=0 for all bj only if bi=0 . Maybe we can

also set up a symplectic basis {b1',b2',..,bn'} , i.e., a basis so that w(bi',bj')=

δi'j' . But then the result may be basis-dependent.

Any Ideas?
The invertibility is basis-independent, because there's an invertible change of basis matrix involved. I.e. if you write A for the matrix of your nondegenerate bilinear form in one basis, and write B for it in another basis, then there will be an invertible matrix S such that A=SBS^{-1}.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a symplectic matrix?

A symplectic matrix is a square matrix with real entries that satisfies the condition STJS = J, where S is the matrix, ST is its transpose, and J is the 2n x 2n matrix:

$$J = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & I_n \\ -I_n & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

2. What is the significance of the symplectic condition?

The symplectic condition is significant because it ensures that the matrix preserves the symplectic structure of a given vector space. This structure is important in the study of Hamiltonian mechanics and other areas of physics and mathematics.

3. How can a symplectic matrix be identified?

A symplectic matrix can be identified by checking if it satisfies the symplectic condition mentioned in the first question. Additionally, a symplectic matrix has a determinant of 1 and its eigenvalues come in pairs of complex conjugates.

4. Is every symplectic matrix invertible?

Yes, every symplectic matrix is invertible. This can be proven by showing that the determinant of a symplectic matrix is always equal to 1, which means it has a non-zero determinant and is therefore invertible.

5. How is the invertibility of symplectic matrices related to the symplectic structure?

The invertibility of symplectic matrices is directly related to the preservation of the symplectic structure. In fact, the symplectic condition is necessary and sufficient for a matrix to preserve this structure. This means that if a symplectic matrix is invertible, it will preserve the symplectic structure, and vice versa.