Why Are These Matrices Not Invertible?

• MHB
  • Thread starter SiddharthThakur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the matrix is not invertible because the equations Ax = b have only the trivial solution, and the matrix is not invertible because there is not a pivot position in every row.
SiddharthThakur
Question
a) For each of the following matrices explain why the matrix is not invertible.
i)[2,0,0_0,0,0_9,3,0]

ii)[3,4,-6_7,2,1_-6,-812]

iii)[5,-2,15_1,-4,3_2,1,6]
b) Suppose A is an n×n matrix with the property that the equation Ax = 0 has only the trivial
solution. Without using the Invertible Matrix Theorem, explain directly why the equation
Ax = b must have a solution for each b in Rⁿ

Attachments

• MAT1163D Assignment 1 13-01.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SiddharthThakur,

A couple of things need to be said.

1) We don't do homework for people. You can't post a bunch of problems without any effort and expect us to solve them. We want to help you know how to them though and are all very happy to do them with you but not for you.

2) It appears that you have an assignment that is for a grade and since we don't know if you are allowed to receive help on it, I can't allow you to get more help on it until you address this issue. I will let you respond to this in one of your threads but if you can't show that you are allowed to get help on this assignment then I will have to close the threads. It's our policy to help prevent cheating.

Jameson

Ok I reread the PDF and it seems you can receive help in a way, but you must cite the sources. So as long as no one here gives you any answers and you agree to cite MHB as a source that helped you.

Ok..

For i, ii and ii in part a what have you tried? Here is the invertible matrix theorem for your reference. Looking at the pivot positions and the determinant is a good place to start.

For b, use the rank nullity theorem. \(\displaystyle \text{dim Col A}+ \text{ dim Null}=n\). Which part of that are you given already?

Since the deadline for the assignment in question has passed, I will make some more comments on solving the problem so others can use the information in the future.

i) $A= \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 9 & 3 & 0 \end{array}\right)$. We can quickly see that $\text{det }A=0$, thus by the Invertible Matrix Theorem $A$ is not invertible.

ii) $B= \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 3 & 4 & -6 \\ 7 & 2 & 1 \\ -6 & -8 & 12 \end{array}\right)$.

If we notice that $R_3=2R_1$ then $R_3$ is row equivalent to $[0,0,0]$ and has less than 3 pivot positions, thus is not invertible.

iii) $C= \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 5 & -2 & 15 \\ 1 & -4 & 3 \\ 2 & 1 & 6 \end{array}\right)$

This takes a bit more calculation but if we row reduce the matrix to echelon form then we see that again there isn't a pivot position in every row, thus the matrix is not invertible.

(b) The rank-nullity theorem says that $\displaystyle \text{dim Col A}+ \text{ dim Null}=n$. Since there is only the trivial solution to $A \vec{x}=\vec{0}$, $\text{ dim Null}=0$ which implies that $\text{dim Col A}=n$. Since $A$ is an $n$ by $n$ matrix with $n$ linearly independent column vectors, it spans $\mathbb{R}^n$.

Last edited:
Just a note on (iii):

$R_1 = -2(R_3) - (R_2)$
So the rows are linearly dependent.

The Chaz said:
Just a note on (iii):

$R_1 = -2(R_3) - (R_2)$
So the rows are linearly dependent.

I just looked for one row being a scalar multiple of another row. Nice catch! :) I don't have a great eye for that sort of thing all the time.

Related to Why Are These Matrices Not Invertible?

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible?

For a matrix to be invertible, it must have an inverse matrix that when multiplied together, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse matrix "undoes" the original matrix, similar to how dividing by a number undoes multiplication.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. This can be calculated by using the determinant formula or by using row operations to reduce the matrix to its row echelon form and checking if all the pivot elements are non-zero.

3. Can all matrices be inverted?

No, not all matrices can be inverted. A matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse matrix.

4. What is the inverse of a matrix used for?

The inverse of a matrix is used to solve systems of linear equations, find the solution to a matrix equation, and perform other mathematical operations such as dividing by a matrix. It can also be used to undo transformations applied to a vector or set of data.

5. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using the inverse matrix formula, which involves finding the adjugate (transpose of the cofactor matrix) of the original matrix and dividing it by the determinant. Alternatively, it can be found by using Gaussian elimination to reduce the augmented matrix [A|I] to [I|A^-1], where A is the original matrix and I is the identity matrix.