Investigate Newtons Laws. Intro Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where two tugboats are pulling a large log with a mass of 250kg and trying to determine the distance traveled after 10 seconds. The relevant equations include the velocity equation, the law of cosines, the sine law, and the distance formula. There is a discrepancy in the calculations at first, but the person eventually corrects their mistake and determines that the tugboats would travel 233m after 10 seconds. There is also a brief discussion about why the sine law is not necessary for this problem.
Kmcquiggan
Homework Statement
Two tugboats are pulling on a large log, as shown in figure. The log has a mass of 250kg and is initially at rest. How far has tug boat gone after 10s?
Relevant Equations
v_2=v_1+a∆, c= √(a^2+b^2-2abcos°), sine law=sinA/a=sinB/b=sinC/c, a=F_net/m

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question in this ?

Have you read the guidelines ?

yes the question is in the question area as well as in the first picture and my attempt is in the second image which is a screen shot of my laptop screen.

Kmcquiggan said:
Problem Statement: Two tugboats are pulling on a large log, as shown in figure. The log has a mass of 250kg and is initially at rest. How far has tug boat gone after 10s?
Relevant Equations: v_2=v_1+a∆, c= √(a^2+b^2-2abcos°), sine law=sinA/a=sinB/b=sinC/c, a=F_net/m
What is your c= √(a^2+b^2-2abcos°)? You need the sum of the two forces, but you calculated the difference.

Looks like you tried to use the law of cosines to find the net force: Better recheck your arithmetic.

Once you find the acceleration, how would you find the distance traveled?

°I went back and checked and see that I made a calculation wrong C= 1163.72 round to 1164. and I then reput the info into sine law and got Fnet= 20°-10° which left [W 10 ° N] than I figured a = Fnet/m = 1164/250=4.656
I used the distance formula which is:
d=vi8t + 1/2*a*t^2 = d= 0+(.5)(4.66)(100) =233m
So therefore the tg boats would be 233m after 10 sec is this getting closer?

Kmcquiggan said:
I made a calculation wrong C= 1163.72 round to 1164.
That looks better.
Kmcquiggan said:
I then reput the info into sine law and got Fnet= 20°-10° which left [W 10 ° N]
?? Why are you using the sine law?
Kmcquiggan said:
than I figured a = Fnet/m = 1164/250=4.656
Looks OK. As does the rest of your work.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles of physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

2. What is the First Law of Motion?

The First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the Third Law of Motion?

The Third Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws used in everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are used in many aspects of everyday life, from driving a car to playing sports. They help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and allow us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects. For example, understanding the Second Law of Motion can help us calculate the force needed to move a heavy object, while the Third Law of Motion explains why we feel a force when we push against a wall.