Investigating magnetic field intensity of eddy currents

In summary, the calculation of magnetic flux density for a circular plate with eddy currents induced throughout the entire plate is a complex problem that cannot be solved using elementary physics. The geometry is three-dimensional and symmetry arguments cannot be made, making it difficult to find a simple solution. Graduate texts such as Jackson only cover simple cases, while specialty literature is required for more complex geometries. One example is the text "Eddy Currents in Linear Conducting Media" which is no longer in print due to its use of acidic paper.
Orlando
How would I calculate the magnetic flux density of the magnetic field generated by eddy currents induced in a circular plate? I decided it would be reasonable to approximate this by considering the flux density of a current loop. However, it is my understanding that eddy currents are induced throughout the entire plate and are not confined to a circular loop which is hollow in the centre. I am not sure if that would ultimately influence the accuracy of the equation but if it does, how could I alter the equation for the flux density of a current loop to include the entire conduction area?

B(current loop)= Mu_0 * I / (2*r) where r=radius of loop.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a problem that can be solved by elementary physics. It involves at least two diificulties:
First, eddy currents are governed by a vector diffusion equation which is considerably more complex even than the scalar diffusion equation that describes heat flow. Second, your geometry is three dimensional, so symmetry arguments and reductions in the number of variables cannot be made. (For example, the three-dimensional magnetic field from your simple-sounding current loop involves complete elliptic integrals of the first and second kinds.) There is only one eddy current calculation that can be considered simple, and that is from a plane wave at normal incidence to an infinite conductive slab. This case can be found in undergraduate texts such as Reitz and Milford. Many graduate texts such as Jackson, in fact, cover no more than this.

One exception is the wonderful E&M book by Smythe, who covers eddy currents in a variety of geometries. (As an aside, Smythe's text has a reputation for difficulty, and is rather feared in the graduate student community .) Beyond that you are into specialty literature. I used to own a text called something like "Eddy Currents in Linear Conducting Media" that solved many challenging geometries, including, I seem to recall, the one you are asking about. I got rid of it maybe 15 or 20 years ago, because it was printed on acidic paper and the pages turned brown and brittle.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of investigating magnetic field intensity of eddy currents?

The purpose of investigating magnetic field intensity of eddy currents is to understand the behavior and effects of eddy currents in different materials and environments. This information can be used in various applications, such as in the design and optimization of electrical devices and in non-destructive testing techniques.

2. How are eddy currents created?

Eddy currents are created when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can happen through the movement of a magnet or by varying the current in a nearby coil. The changing magnetic field induces a current in the conductor, which circulates within the material and creates its own magnetic field.

3. How do eddy currents affect the magnetic field intensity?

Eddy currents can either enhance or oppose the original magnetic field, depending on the direction of the current flow. This can cause distortions or fluctuations in the magnetic field intensity, which can be measured and analyzed to understand the behavior of the eddy currents.

4. What factors can influence the intensity of eddy currents?

The intensity of eddy currents can be influenced by several factors, such as the material properties, the strength and frequency of the changing magnetic field, and the geometry of the conductive material. The conductivity and permeability of the material also play a significant role in determining the intensity of eddy currents.

5. How is the magnetic field intensity of eddy currents measured?

The magnetic field intensity of eddy currents can be measured using various techniques, such as using a Hall probe or a fluxgate magnetometer. These instruments can detect changes in the magnetic field and provide quantitative measurements of the intensity of eddy currents. Additionally, simulations and mathematical models can also be used to predict and analyze the behavior of eddy currents in different scenarios.