Investigating Net Force in Two Dimensions

In summary, Homework Equations and the Attempt at a Solution both explain how to find the magnitude and angle of a net force in two dimensions. However, you are incorrectly stating the direction of the resultant when stating the direction of the contributing forces.
alexandria

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-31_19-42-17.png

Homework Equations

no equations required

The Attempt at a Solution

i already answered the question, but i just want to know if i wrote the right direction for the Fnet.
is it [N 10 W] or [W 10 N]?[/B]
upload_2016-3-31_19-43-21.png

this is how i wrote it:
Fnet: 1165 N [N 10 degrees W]

Physics news on Phys.org
alexandria said:
this is how i wrote it:
Fnet: 1165 N [N 10 degrees W]
As I explained in another thread, N 10 degrees W would mean 10 degrees W of North. Is that what it looks like in your diagram?
Also, you don't show how you got 10 degrees. It is correct, to that many digits. Can you quote one more digit?

ok this is how i got 10 degrees and the Fnet:

Step #1: Use the cosine law to solve for the magnitude of the net force

c2 = a2 + b2 – 2abcosC

c2 = (800 N)2 + (400 N)2 – 2(800 N)(400 N)cos150 degrees

c = 1165 NStep #2: Use the sine law to solve for the angle of the net force

SinB/b = SinC/c

SinB/400 N = Sin150 degrees/1165 N

b = sin-1 (400 N x Sin150o/1165 N)

b = 9.8 » 10 degrees

To determine the angle for the net force, subtract 20 fromb, as this results in the angle needed to describe the direction of the net force.

20 degrees – 10 degrees = 10 degrees

Fnet = 1165 N [N 10 degrees W] it can also be looked at as 10.2 degrees, i just rounded 9.8 to 10 exactly.

The net force on the log is 1165 N at an angle of 10 degrees west of north.

in this case, the 800 N vector is further to the north and the resultant (Fnet) is further to the west.
i described the angle between them by saying [N ... W]
upload_2016-3-31_22-26-53.png

so is this correct?

alexandria said:
it can also be looked at as 10.2 degrees, i just rounded 9.8 to 10 exactly.
Yes, that's fine.
alexandria said:
the 800 N vector is further to the north and the resultant (Fnet) is further to the west.
i described the angle between them by saying [N ... W]
This is the identical mistake you are making on the other thread. When stating the direction of the resultant, we no longer care about any of the directions of the contributing forces. We must quote the direction relative to the standard compass points.

upload_2016-3-31_23-9-34.png

upload_2016-3-31_23-9-10.png

ok so in this example taken from my lesson, the 1.0 N vector is directed East, and the Fnet is further north, to describe the direction, they said the Fnet was E...N
can't this method be applied to my problem as well?

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move and interact with one another. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the force applied to an object to its acceleration, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws affect everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion play a significant role in our daily lives. For example, the first law explains why objects stay still unless something pushes or pulls on them. The second law helps us understand how much force is needed to accelerate an object. And the third law is evident in activities like walking, where the force of our feet pushing against the ground propels us forward.

3. Can Newton's laws be broken?

No, Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles of physics and have been proven to be accurate in countless experiments. However, there are some extreme circumstances, such as at the subatomic level or in outer space, where these laws may not apply. But for most everyday situations, Newton's laws hold true.

4. How do scientists investigate Newton's laws?

Scientists investigate Newton's laws of motion through experiments and observations. They use tools like force sensors, accelerometers, and high-speed cameras to measure and record the motion of objects. They also use mathematical equations, such as F=ma, to analyze and interpret their data and make predictions about future outcomes.

5. What are some real-world applications of Newton's laws?

Newton's laws have many practical applications, such as in the design and engineering of machines and structures. For example, engineers use these laws to design cars, airplanes, and buildings that can withstand various forces and movements. They are also essential in fields like aerospace, robotics, and sports, where understanding and applying these laws is crucial for success.