Investigating the Effects of Loop Radius on Rollercoaster Performance

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of loop radius on a rollercoaster's ability to successfully navigate a loop. It is determined that the minimum safe speed depends on the loop radius and can be calculated using Newton's second law and the formula for centripetal acceleration. The individual confirms that they were on the right track and expresses gratitude for the help.
sillybilly
im doing this eperiment on rollercoasters and i was wondering if loop radius effects the vehicle; like if the loop was to small will it make it through? or if the loop was to big will it make it or just simply fall off? :) THANKYOU

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi sillybilly! Welcome to PF! :smile:
sillybilly said:
im doing this eperiment on rollercoasters and i was wondering if loop radius effects the vehicle; like if the loop was to small will it make it through? or if the loop was to big will it make it or just simply fall off? :) THANKYOU

Yes, the minimum safe speed does depend on the loop radius.

The car will lose contact when the reaction force is zero …

and you can find when and whether that happens by using good ol' Newton's second law and the formula for centripetal acceleration :wink:

ohh yes thankyou that's wat i did i just wanted to no if i was on the right track fanks a ton YAY :)

Related to Investigating the Effects of Loop Radius on Rollercoaster Performance

1. What is the purpose of investigating the effects of loop radius on rollercoaster performance?

The purpose of this investigation is to better understand how the loop radius of a rollercoaster impacts its overall performance, specifically in terms of speed, safety, and rider experience. This information can then be used to design more efficient and enjoyable rollercoasters.

2. How will the investigation be conducted?

The investigation will be conducted through a series of experiments using different loop radii on a rollercoaster track. The speed and g-forces experienced by the rollercoaster and its riders will be measured and compared to determine the effects of varying loop radius.

3. What factors may influence the results of the investigation?

There are several factors that may influence the results of the investigation, such as the design and construction of the rollercoaster, the weight and distribution of riders, and external factors like wind and temperature. These variables will be controlled as much as possible to ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. What are some potential benefits of understanding the effects of loop radius on rollercoaster performance?

By understanding how loop radius affects rollercoaster performance, designers can create more thrilling and enjoyable rides that are also safe for riders. This knowledge can also be used to improve the efficiency and sustainability of rollercoasters, potentially reducing energy and maintenance costs.

5. How can the results of this investigation be applied in the real world?

The results of this investigation can be applied in the real world by informing the design and construction of new rollercoasters, as well as improving the performance and safety of existing ones. This knowledge can also be used to train and educate rollercoaster engineers and operators, ensuring the best possible experience for riders.