Investigating the Impact of Heating a Substance on Room Temperature

In summary, the room temperature influences the temperature of the substance over time by allowing energy to flow from the boiled substance into the air.
bnd_20191
Homework Statement
Is there a relationship between the temperature of the substance and the initial room temperature? Make a conjecture.
Find a way of testing your conjecture in and present your results with a conclusion.
Relevant Equations
T(t)=Ce^(-kt)+T_a
Through the research that I conducted is that I wasn't able to find actual supporting answer to this question. I struggle with Physics and math and because of Coronavirus my school has shut down meaning I don't have access to my teachers or tutor. The main line that i am thinking is that if it is in a closed room when the substance cools it let's out energy and that energy is absorbed by the air meaning the air might get hotter in the room meaning that as it cools the room temperature increases.

The task is:
You are going to heat some substance. Record the room temperature before you start. Also record the name of the substance and its volume. Heat the substance to close to boiling point and take a temperature reading. Once heated, record the temperature of the substance every minutes for 60 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
bnd_20191 said:
The main line that i am thinking is that if it is in a closed room when the substance cools it let's out energy and that energy is absorbed by the air meaning the air might get hotter in the room meaning that as it cools the room temperature increases.
You can neglect changes to the room temperature, and the question asks about the initial room temperature anyway.
How does that room temperature influence the temperature of your substance over time? Think of extreme examples: What if you do the experiment in an oven? What if you do it in Antarctica?

mfb said:
You can neglect changes to the room temperature, and the question asks about the initial room temperature anyway.
How does that room temperature influence the temperature of your substance over time? Think of extreme examples: What if you do the experiment in an oven? What if you do it in Antarctica?

Ok, that kind of makes sense. As I actually need to test this out, would say doing the experiment again but this time I turn the heating on in my house on to say a temperature of 33 degrees Celsius and do the experiment again would that be a good way of exploring how initial room temperature might affect the temperature of the substance

I think the problem statement asks about an estimate before you do that experiment. After an hour of being exposed to the room temperature, how will the substance differ in an oven vs. Antarctica?

mfb said:
I think the problem statement asks about an estimate before you do that experiment. After an hour of being exposed to the room temperature, how will the substance differ in an oven vs. Antarctica?
So I think if say the initial room temperature was increased like an oven, it would cool much slowly but if the experiment was done in the Antartica, it would cool much quicker.

bnd_20191 said:
The task is:
You are going to heat some substance. Record the room temperature before you start. Also record the name of the substance and its volume. Heat the substance to close to boiling point and take a temperature reading. Once heated, record the temperature of the substance every minutes for 60 minutes.
The boiling temperature is going to be a fixed value, regardless the ambient temperature of the room for each case.
The final temperature of the substance is going to be equal to the room temperature, after a necessary amount of time.
There will be a natural flow of energy from the boiled substance (higher level of energy) into the air surrounding it (lower level of energy).

1. How does heating a substance affect room temperature?

When a substance is heated, it absorbs thermal energy and its molecules begin to move faster. This increase in molecular motion causes the substance to release heat into its surroundings, thereby increasing the room temperature.

2. What factors can impact the amount of heat released by a heated substance?

The amount of heat released by a heated substance can be influenced by several factors, such as the type of substance, its mass, the initial temperature of the substance, and the duration of heating. Additionally, the type of heating method and the surrounding environment can also affect the amount of heat released.

3. How can the impact of heating a substance on room temperature be measured?

The impact of heating a substance on room temperature can be measured by using a thermometer to record the initial and final temperature of the room. The difference between these two temperatures will indicate the change in room temperature caused by heating the substance.

4. Is there a limit to how much a heated substance can increase the room temperature?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a heated substance can increase the room temperature. This is because once the substance reaches its boiling point, it will undergo a phase change and absorb the heat energy without causing a further increase in temperature.

5. How does the impact of heating a substance on room temperature differ between different substances?

The impact of heating a substance on room temperature can vary between different substances due to their unique properties, such as specific heat capacity and boiling point. For example, a substance with a higher specific heat capacity will require more energy to increase its temperature compared to a substance with a lower specific heat capacity.