How do we calculate the temperature of a laser-heated substance?

• Thread starter Pericle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass and energy of Maple syrup when exposed to a laser. The energy absorbed by the syrup is found to be 0.6 J/s and the specific heat is needed to further calculate the change in temperature. The exposure is assumed to be continuous and the temperature will continue to increase until energy is radiated away at the same rate as the laser delivers it.
Pericle
Homework Statement
Knowing that laser beam before going through a cell with a 100µm layer of syrup has a power of 100mW and after going through a cell has 40mW, calculate what is the temperature of a syrup in a point where laser beam went through it?
Temperature of syrup before being heated is 25°C
Radius of the beam is r=0.35cm
Density of a syrup is d=1.08g/l
Relevant Equations
𝑃_𝑏/𝑃_𝑎
Q=mcT
P=πr[SUP]2[/SUP]
M=P*H*d
P_b/P_a =0.4
I have calculated mass of the syrup which is 0.42g
We know that the power of a laser before is 100mW and after is 40mW, that means that the energy absorbed by the syrup is equal to 0.6J/s.
I'm not really sure what to do here, the substance through which laser is going is Maple syrup, but I don't know any properties of it and I guess I can only make an assumption about them.

Do i just now only need specific heat?

How do i deal with heat that radiated away?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know that the energy absorbed by the syrup is 0.6 J/s how many Joules are deposited by the beam when the syrup is zapped by the laser? (Hint: How long does it take the beam to go through the layer?) That number is your Q in the equation. Yes, you will need the specific heat. You can also assume that the process happens fast enough so that you don't have to worry about heat being radiated away.

Likes Charles Link
Continuous laser ? Exposure time ?

It is a continuous exposure.

I have also made a mistake, because 0.06J is absorbed only.

I got the mass wrong i think. It is supposed to equal 3.85•10-7
Then the change in temperature is about 37K which actually makes sense

It's 0.06/(3.85•10-7•4200)

Last edited:
You said in your last post
0.06J is absorbed
. Did you intentionally change from the
J/s
units you used originally?

If it is a continuous exposure, the temperature will continue increasing until it radiates away energy at the same rate the laser is delivering energy.

1. What is the formula for calculating the temperature of a laser-heated substance?

The formula for calculating the temperature of a laser-heated substance is T = P/A, where T is the temperature in Kelvin, P is the power of the laser in Watts, and A is the area of the substance being heated in square meters.

2. How does the wavelength of the laser affect the temperature of the substance being heated?

The wavelength of the laser affects the temperature of the substance being heated by determining the amount of energy that is absorbed by the substance. Shorter wavelengths have higher energy and can cause the substance to reach a higher temperature, while longer wavelengths have lower energy and may result in a lower temperature.

3. What other factors besides the laser power and area can affect the temperature of a laser-heated substance?

Other factors that can affect the temperature of a laser-heated substance include the reflectivity of the substance, the duration of the laser pulse, and the properties of the substance such as its specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity.

4. Can the temperature of a laser-heated substance be accurately measured?

Yes, the temperature of a laser-heated substance can be accurately measured using various techniques such as thermocouples, infrared cameras, and pyrometers. However, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by factors such as the distance between the measurement device and the substance, and the emissivity of the substance.

5. How can the temperature of a laser-heated substance be controlled?

The temperature of a laser-heated substance can be controlled by adjusting the power and duration of the laser pulse, as well as the distance between the laser and the substance. Additionally, using a feedback loop system that measures and adjusts the temperature can also help to control it more accurately.