Investment Calculator: Calculating Total Profit~~

• Thread starter neik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary: Assuming that you are compounding annually, then the equation would be: FV=Principal*(1+{R/N})^{NT}Where: FV=Initial investment amount*(1+{R/N})FV=Final Value*-Original Principle*=Compounding Periods*(1+{R/N})^{NT}Therefore, for an annual compounding period, "Total Profit" would be: FV-Original Principle=Compounding Periods*(1+{R/N})^{NT}In summary, your equation is for compounding interest from a single payment. It is a general term
neik
Hi everybody,

I have given an equation to calculate the final Value (FV) of an investment as follows:

[tex]FV= Principal*(1+{R/N})^{NT}[/tex]

Where:
Principal = initial investment amount,
R = annual interest rate,
N = number of times compounding is performed per year; this can be quaterly (4 times), monthly (12 times), or daily (365)
T = number of investment years

i was asked to find the final amount and total profit after x years.
and also the total amount after the first month, second month, third month, etc...

actually I'm learning VB6 now, and i have no idea about this equation

can someone give me some hints to solve this?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes you will find that the equation I=PRT, is easier to use for some questions.
I=interest earned
P=princepal invested
T=time

EDIT: I didn't notice that you said months, oops
sorry, disregard my post :)

Last edited:
What you have is the equation for compounding interest from a single payment. In other words, you put "X" amount of dollars into an account, how much will you have after "Y" amount of time. The important part is that it is for a single payment.

The general term of the equation is:

[tex]
F = P (1 + i)^n [/tex]

where:
F = Future worth of the investment
P = Present worth of the investment
i = anual interest rate (IN DECIMAL FORM!)
n = number of compounding periods

There's one little snag to this equation. The number that you use for the interest rate is dependent upon how often you are compounding. If you are compounding annually, n will be the number of years compounding and i will be the anual percentage rate (in decimal form). However, if you want to compound monthly, like you said in your question, n will be the number of months compounding and i will be the anual percentage rate divided by 12. If you want to compound daily, divide i by 365. The equation you stated is the same equation I have given except it takes this step into account.

It's a pretty straight forward equation to use once you get the little trick down. It's very easy to set this up in a spreadsheet. I would suggest doing that and using that as a sanity check on your VB code results.

hi, thanks for responding

but i still don't know how to calculate the "total profit"
any ideas?

neik said:

any ideas?
Is it simple interest?

neik said:

any ideas?
Using your terminology, "Total Profit" is normally determined from:

[tex] \ \ \ (Total \ Profit) \ = \ (Final \ Value) \ - \ (Original \ Principle) [/tex]

~~

Last edited:

Related to Investment Calculator: Calculating Total Profit~~

What is an investment calculator?

An investment calculator is a tool that helps individuals or businesses calculate their potential returns on an investment by taking into account factors such as initial investment amount, time period, interest rates, and compounding frequency.

How do I use an investment calculator?

To use an investment calculator, you need to enter the required information such as initial investment amount, time period, expected interest rate, and compounding frequency. The calculator will then calculate your potential returns based on these inputs.

Why should I use an investment calculator?

Using an investment calculator can help you make informed decisions about your investments by providing you with an estimate of your potential returns. It can also help you compare different investment options and choose the one that offers the best returns.

Are investment calculators accurate?

Investment calculators provide estimates based on the information entered by the user. While they can give a good idea of potential returns, they may not be completely accurate as they cannot predict the future performance of investments.

Can I use an investment calculator for any type of investment?

Investment calculators can be used for a variety of investments such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and real estate. However, the inputs and calculations may vary depending on the type of investment. It is important to use a calculator that is specific to the type of investment you are considering.