Ionic product of water changes

It could be asking which scenario results in the same value for Kw at different temperatures, but the wording is unclear.
TT0

Homework Statement

Under which set of conditions is the ionic product of water, Kw, constant at a given temperature in aqueous systems?

1. in dilute acidic but not dilute alkaline solutions.
  2. in dilute alkaline but not dilute acidic solutions.
  3. in both dilute acidic and alkaline solutions.
  4. only at the equivalence point of a strong acid-strong alkali titration.
  5. only in pure water.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what this question is asking. Is it asking in which scenario is the Kw constant for all temperatures or does it never change? Both of these I don't understand, could someone explain this to me?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically there is no correct answer between those given. Kw is constant always.

Likes TT0
I see, so its just a bad question then?

Thanks

That's my opinion.

Likes TT0

What is the ionic product of water?

The ionic product of water, also known as the dissociation constant, is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in water. It is represented by the symbol Kw and is defined as Kw = [H+][OH-], where [H+] and [OH-] are the concentrations of the ions in moles per liter (M).

How does the ionic product of water change with temperature?

The ionic product of water is highly dependent on temperature. As the temperature increases, the ionic product of water also increases due to the increased thermal energy allowing for more dissociation of water molecules into H+ and OH- ions. This relationship is described by the Arrhenius equation, which shows that the ionic product of water increases exponentially with temperature.

What factors can affect the ionic product of water?

Aside from temperature, the ionic product of water can be affected by the presence of other substances in the water. For example, the addition of an acid or base can increase or decrease the concentration of H+ or OH- ions, respectively, and therefore change the ionic product of water. Additionally, changes in pressure can also affect the ionic product of water, although this effect is much smaller compared to temperature.

How is the ionic product of water related to pH?

The pH of a solution is a measure of the concentration of H+ ions in the solution. Since the ionic product of water is directly related to the concentration of H+ and OH- ions, it is also related to pH. In fact, the pH of a neutral solution is equal to the negative logarithm of the ionic product of water (pH = -log[Kw]). This means that as the ionic product of water increases, the pH decreases, and vice versa.

Why is the ionic product of water important in chemistry?

The ionic product of water is important in chemistry because it affects the properties and behavior of water. For example, the self-ionization of water due to the ionic product results in the characteristic pH of water, which is important for many biochemical reactions. Additionally, the ionic product of water also has implications in the solubility of salts and other compounds in water, as well as in the determination of acid and base strengths. Understanding the behavior of the ionic product of water is therefore crucial in many areas of chemistry.