Ionized particle path , forces etc.

In summary: I asked about this topic a few months ago. In summary, the electric field from the charges on the wire is pushing against the protons and vice versa, so they tend to bend away from the wire. The current generated in the gas causes a magnetic field, which usually acts perpendicular to the electric field. However, in this situation the central wire does not generate a magnetic field because it is held at a constant, positive potential reference to some ground.
Crazymechanic
Ok so i have a question , for the sake of the argument imagine a infinitely long conducting wire with a given positive potential.
Now along that wire in an enclosed non conducting tube around it there is a ionized hydrogen (no electrons for the argument)

Now when a conductor like our infinitely long wire is at a potential there are electric field lines pointing outwards from the wire which are 90 degrees to the wire or perpendicular in all directions.
Since there is positive potential int he wire our ionized hydrogen protons are repelled from the wire , we could say the electric field from the charges on the wire is pushing against the protons and vice versa , so they tend to bend away from the wire?
Now imagine an small insulator along the length of the wire around it , the same situation wire at a potential , protons along it's sides , insulator between them , outer tube to enclose and confine the ionized hydrogen gas.
Now what happens when I add current to the ionized hydrogen , at both ends using electrodes ?
Now there is a current flow because of the conducting properties of the ions , now that creates a magnetic field ,

the question then is how does this magnetic field act in the situation , does it pushes the ions further from the wire contributing to the already existing electric field perpendicular to the wire or does it act against it ?
Normally the magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric field but this situation is slightly different.i guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
The central conducting wire does not generate a magnetic field because it is held at a constant, positive potential reference to some ground?
To create the current in they proton gas, you somehow apply a potential between two sides of the tube but not to the central conductor. In this case you are applying an electric field along the length of the central wire. You then have a current generated in the gas.
This is essential just a Coaxial Cable where your outer conducting cylinder is a gas with ( i would guess) lower conductivity than the conducting wire in the center.
Try Gauss's law with cylindrical symmetry around a portion of the system?

Yes indeed you can portray it as a coaxial cable , well yes the inner wire is insulated from the ionized gas for the sake of the thought experiment , also it is at some very high potential with reference to ground , as it is used for the electric field , now the ion gas is just that a gas and normally would repel from the inner wire due to the field acting on the gas particle charge but if a current passes trough the gas the gas itself become a conductor so I was kinda interested in how the forces act in such a situation.

Now as much as I can imagine since the inner wire is at a + potential all the way , the gas is at a cathode at one end and has an anode at the other where the current enters the gas , now not taking the magnetic field into account how the gas particles (protons) would behave at each of these ends and how in overall taking the magnetic field and electric one into account.
The theory of those fields and forces interests me more than doing some actual numbers to tell te force values at some point along this tube.

thanks for responding , even though I feel that some skilled members of this forums have abandoned my questions ever since

1. What is an ionized particle?

An ionized particle is an atom or molecule that has gained or lost one or more electrons, resulting in a net electric charge. This process is known as ionization and can occur through various means such as exposure to high energy radiation or collisions with other particles.

2. How do ionized particles behave in an electric field?

Ionized particles will be affected by an electric field due to their electric charge. They will experience a force in the direction of the electric field if they are positively charged, and in the opposite direction if they are negatively charged.

3. What is the path of an ionized particle in a magnetic field?

The path of an ionized particle in a magnetic field is curved. This is because the magnetic field exerts a force on the particle perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to move in a circular or helical path.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the path of an ionized particle?

The strength of the magnetic field will affect the curvature of the ionized particle's path. A stronger magnetic field will result in a tighter curve, while a weaker field will result in a wider curve. Additionally, a stronger magnetic field will cause the particle to travel at a higher speed along its curved path.

5. What is the relationship between the velocity of an ionized particle and the magnetic field it is traveling through?

The velocity of an ionized particle is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field it is traveling through. This means that as the magnetic field gets stronger, the particle will travel faster along its curved path, and vice versa.