IR and UV absorption of materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for easy to obtain materials in powder form that have good absorbance at specific wavelengths. The use of powder in comparison to bulk samples and the possibility of using carbon black or carbon nanotubes is also mentioned. The suggestion of looking into absorption spectra of rare Earth compounds is also given.
daidalos1000
Hello all,

I am looking for easy to obtain materials, preferably in powder form, with good absorbance at 808nm, 365 nm and 404 nm each (either one material for each wavelength or one for all three).However I can't seem to find absorbance charts. Does anyone have any idea either on which material to use or on the whereabouts of a good collection of absorbance charts?

Best Regards,

George

Physics news on Phys.org
The optical properties of a powder can be much different than a homogenous bulk sample- for example, a sheet of glass is transparent, but glass powder (or ground glass surfaces) are highly scattering.

you may find some useful information here: http://refractiveindex.info/

What is your application?

Carbon black (soot) is pretty good at all of these wavelengths.

@ Andy

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of that, I just thought I would choose the material that comes first amongst others in my spec AND can be acquired in powder form. RefractiveIndex doesn't cite absorption spectra as far as I know. I thought I could use transmissive spectra in a reverse manner if I can acount for reflection. My application is to remotely heat up a gel using one of these wavelengths and I need to the powder to make sure the beam is absorbed.

@UltrafastPED thank you, I will try that.

If you are after sharp absorption lines, you should have a look at the absorption spectra of rare Earth compounds.

Related to IR and UV absorption of materials

What is IR and UV absorption of materials?

IR and UV absorption of materials is the process by which certain materials absorb or block certain wavelengths of infrared (IR) and ultraviolet (UV) light. This absorption can cause changes in the material's properties, such as temperature or chemical reactions.

Why is IR and UV absorption important in materials?

IR and UV absorption is important in materials because it can affect their physical and chemical properties. For example, IR absorption can cause materials to heat up, while UV absorption can lead to degradation or discoloration.

What types of materials can absorb IR and UV light?

Various types of materials can absorb IR and UV light, including organic and inorganic substances. Some common examples include plastics, metals, and minerals.

How does IR and UV absorption affect the environment?

IR and UV absorption can have a significant impact on the environment. For example, UV absorption by certain materials can contribute to the depletion of the ozone layer, while IR absorption can affect the Earth's climate by trapping heat in the atmosphere.

Can IR and UV absorption be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, IR and UV absorption can be manipulated or controlled through various methods, such as applying coatings or using specific materials with desired absorption properties. This can be useful in applications such as sunscreen, where certain wavelengths of UV light need to be blocked.