IR divergences and total energies....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of IR divergences and how they relate to total energies in scattering experiments. It is noted that while total energy should be conserved, the presence of soft photons and their participation in multiple interactions may lead to a potential divergence in energy. However, it is clarified that the total energy density in the electromagnetic field is finite, and the low energy per photon of soft photons prevents a complete divergence in energy.
asimov42
I've done some recent reading on IR divergences (propagators becoming singular, etc.). I believe I understand collinear divergences (to some extent)... but I'm not sure about total energies for (primarily) soft photons.

In all scattering experiments, total energy should be conserved - but if all interactions are generating soft photons, and those soft photons are then participating in other interactions, and this goes on ad infinitum - do we also end up with divergence in energy (over a finite spatial volume)? This energy would have to already have been present (and I'm focusing on photons only) in the em field.

Essentially, I'm wondering about the exact nature of the divergences ... why everything isn't 'floating' in an infinite sea of soft photons.

Apologies for the poor statement of the question - I'm happy to try to clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
why everything isn't 'floating' in an infinite sea of soft photons.
We are, sort of. We have electromagnetic fields everywhere. The total energy density in the field is finite.

Likes vanhees71
asimov42 said:
f all interactions are generating soft photons, and those soft photons are then participating in other interactions, and this goes on ad infinitum - do we also end up with divergence in energy (over a finite spatial volume)?

No, because soft photons can have arbitrarily low energy per photon. In the limit, heuristically, you can have an infinite number of photons each with zero energy, which adds up to zero (or at least negligible) energy.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are IR divergences in relation to total energies?

IR (infrared) divergences refer to the phenomenon where the total energy of a system becomes infinite when the wavelength of the emitted or absorbed radiation approaches zero. This can occur in quantum field theories and is related to the ultraviolet (UV) divergences that occur at high energies.

2. What causes IR divergences?

IR divergences are caused by the fact that the emitted or absorbed radiation has an infinite number of modes or frequencies. This leads to an infinite number of contributions to the total energy, resulting in a divergence when the wavelength approaches zero.

3. How do IR divergences affect calculations of total energies?

IR divergences can significantly affect calculations of total energies in quantum field theories. They can lead to infinite results and make it difficult to obtain meaningful predictions. Therefore, special techniques such as renormalization must be used to handle these divergences and obtain finite results.

4. Can IR divergences be avoided?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely avoid IR divergences. However, they can be minimized by using appropriate theoretical techniques and approximations. Additionally, in some cases, physical quantities such as cross sections can be calculated without directly considering the IR divergences.

5. Are IR divergences a sign of an incorrect theory?

No, IR divergences are not necessarily a sign of an incorrect theory. They are a consequence of the infinite number of modes or frequencies present in the emitted or absorbed radiation. However, they do require careful handling and renormalization in order to obtain meaningful predictions from the theory.