Iref extraction in active power filters using active filters

In summary, active power filters are often used to correct the current waveform and measure THD. Filters are typically sized according to the primary harmonic signature.
Axe199
i was doing a research on active power filters and i read about Iref ( the cancelation waveform) extraction algorithm, and they are using complicated algorithms like FFT or DFT in frequency domain or the park transform and clark transform in time domain, i was wondering, why isn't there any technique using opamp active filters to extract the Iref? maybe a notch filter attenuating only the fundamental frequency?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I expect that every approach to filtering ever imagined has been tried. There are also many filters designed without any consideration of Iref. That's just one way to describe it.

anorlunda said:
There are also many filters designed without any consideration of Iref. That's just one way to describe it.
are those active power filters?

Since you frequently have a DSP there just to manage PWM for the filter, you want to digitize and analyze the current waveform in a way the processor can manage it, so you typically have this tool at your disposal. Also - the primary metric for power quality is often the THD - and looked at in the frequency domain - so you are correcting the same thing you are measuring.

Then when sizing the filter - you want to know what the primary causes are; e.g. a 6 pulse rectifier has a particular harmonic signature, and when choosing the filter you take that into consideration.

It is possible to do this all in analog, but today that is more expensive and much harder to configure. I have a client that had a 2MW inverter for solar, wind and energy storage - the original design was analog, and they only designed this out and went to digital about 4 years ago. ( Analog controller ~$1500, digital $90 ). When they had a problem, I had asked for some waveform data - impossible to add that feature in their analog set up without adding hardware.

Likes Axe199

1. What is Iref extraction in active power filters?

Iref extraction in active power filters refers to the process of extracting a reference current signal from the load current in order to generate a compensating current for an active power filter. This compensating current is used to cancel out harmonics and other disturbances in the load current, resulting in a cleaner and more efficient power supply.

2. How do active filters work in Iref extraction?

Active filters use electronic components such as transistors and capacitors to generate a compensating current that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the harmonic and disturbance components of the load current. This allows for precise control and cancellation of unwanted signals, resulting in a cleaner power supply.

3. What are the benefits of using Iref extraction in active power filters?

Iref extraction in active power filters offers several benefits, including improved power quality, reduced harmonic distortion, and increased energy efficiency. It also allows for better control and management of power flow in complex electrical systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Iref extraction in active power filters?

While Iref extraction in active power filters can provide significant improvements in power quality and efficiency, it does have some limitations. These include high initial costs, potential reliability issues, and the need for regular maintenance and calibration.

5. How is Iref extraction different from other methods of power filtering?

Iref extraction is a type of active power filtering, which means it uses electronic components and control algorithms to filter out unwanted signals. This is different from passive filtering, which uses components such as inductors and capacitors, and hybrid filtering, which combines both active and passive components.