Can a Sphere's Irradiance Be Modeled Using a Disk Emitter?

In summary: This method may be easier to handle when dealing with portions of the sphere instead of the entire sphere. In summary, the original problem can be re-cast by converting the calculation into calculating the irradiance received from an equivalent disk-shaped emitter.
mnb96
Hello,
I consider a Lambertian spherical emitter with radius R and placed at the point (0,0,h).
I would like to compute the irradiance received by the infinitesimal surface patch at (0,0,0) whose normal is the vector (0,0,1).

- My question is: is it possible to convert this calculation into calculating the irradiance received from an "equivalent" disk-shaped emitter placed at (0,0,h) ?
- Is it correct to compute the flux received by each patch of the disk and then using it to compute the irradiance at (0,0,0)?

(I know all this this might sound useless, but I am trying to re-cast the original problem because I will later need to compute the irradiance received from portions of the sphere, and it is easier to handle portions of a two dimensional disk instead).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to convert the calculation into calculating the irradiance received from an "equivalent" disk-shaped emitter placed at (0,0,h). To do this, you can use the cosine law to calculate the flux received by each patch of the disk and then use it to compute the irradiance at (0,0,0). The cosine law states that the irradiance at a point on a surface is equal to the cosine of the angle between the normal vector at that point and the vector pointing from the source to the point, multiplied by the flux emitted by the source. Using this law, you can calculate the irradiance received by the infinitesimal surface patch at (0,0,0) by first calculating the flux received by each patch of the equivalent disk-shaped emitter.

1. What is irradiance from a sphere?

Irradiance from a sphere refers to the amount of radiant flux (energy) per unit area that is received from a spherical source. It is a measure of the total amount of energy that is emitted from the surface of a sphere in all directions.

2. How is irradiance from a sphere calculated?

Irradiance from a sphere can be calculated by dividing the total radiant flux emitted by the surface of the sphere by the surface area of the sphere. This results in a unit of watts per square meter (W/m2).

3. What factors affect the irradiance from a sphere?

The irradiance from a sphere is affected by the distance between the sphere and the receiving surface, the size and temperature of the sphere, and the wavelength of the radiation emitted by the sphere. Other factors such as absorption and scattering of the radiation can also impact the irradiance.

4. What is the relationship between irradiance and distance from a sphere?

The irradiance from a sphere follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the sphere increases, the amount of irradiance decreases exponentially. This is because the same amount of energy is spread over a larger area as the distance increases.

5. How is irradiance from a sphere used in scientific research?

Irradiance from a sphere is an important concept in many fields of science, including astronomy, meteorology, and physics. It is used to study the behavior of radiation in different environments and to calculate the amount of energy received by a surface. It is also used in the development and testing of solar panels and other devices that use radiation as a source of energy.