Irradiance from this infrared light source after a diffuser

In summary: To use the ImageJ I should have grayscale images representing the emission patterns of the LED and diffuser and then colvolve them? Am I correct?Yes. You should definitely get to know imageJ then.
Maker21538
I need to calculate irradiance in a system shown on the image.
There is an infrared LED on the left and a diffuser in front of it. I need to calculate irradiance at a certain distance after the diffuser.

I think I first have to calculate irradiance at the diffuser. Then multiply it by the transmission of the diffuser to know how much radiation gets through the diffuser. That's where I don't know how to proceed. I don't know how to take into account the effect of radiation output angle from the diffuser.
Setup.png

Science news on Phys.org
Maker21538 said:
I need to calculate irradiance in a system shown on the image.
There is an infrared LED on the left and a diffuser in front of it. I need to calculate irradiance at a certain distance after the diffuser.

I think I first have to calculate irradiance at the diffuser. Then multiply it by the transmission of the diffuser to know how much radiation gets through the diffuser. That's where I don't know how to proceed. I don't know how to take into account the effect of radiation output angle from the diffuser.
View attachment 241502
You need to characterize the output of the diffuser to a "pencil" of light (experiment? info from supplier?) and convolve it with the emission pattern of the LED. Ray tracing programs will do the arithmetic but you need to know the patterns.

hutchphd said:
You need to characterize the output of the diffuser to a "pencil" of light (experiment? info from supplier?) and convolve it with the emission pattern of the LED. Ray tracing programs will do the arithmetic but you need to know the patterns.
I have the datasheets for both the LED and the diffuser so all the info needed should be available.
Are there any good and free ray tracing software out there? All I can find is a few software for lens design.
Could the calculation be done as a stochastic simulation in some mathematics software?

Maker21538 said:
I have the datasheets for both the LED and the diffuser so all the info needed should be available.
Are there any good and free ray tracing software out there? All I can find is a few software for lens design.
Could the calculation be done as a stochastic simulation in some mathematics software?

Ray tracing is a bad approach for this problem, since diffusers are not well-characterized in terms of a transfer matrix. I agree with hutchphd, the easiest path is probably to simply convolve the LED output irradiance with the diffuser profile. As far as commercial programs, both FRED and ASAP can handle nonimaging design problems.

Maker21538 said:
Are there any good and free ray tracing software out there?
It has been a few years but Image J from NIH used to be good and free. This is image processing software and you can do all kinds of good stuff, including convolutions and FFT of images. Lots of add-ons around.

This is a hobby for me, so any kind of commercial software is out of question.
I have a background in mechanical engineering and only know the basic photometric and radiometric principles. Therefore there is much I don’t understand.

To use the ImageJ I should have grayscale images representing the emission patterns of the LED and diffuser and then colvolve them? Am I correct?

Yes. You should definitely get to know imageJ then. The software is written with medical/biological applications (diagnostic images, fluorescence) in mind so there is a lot of good but not overpoweringly technical literature available. As I recall there is a built- in function that allows you to define an arbitrary "filter" some pixels in size and apply it (convolve) to any other image. Have fun.

1. What is irradiance?

Irradiance is the amount of radiant flux (energy) per unit area that is incident on a surface. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is an important factor in determining the intensity of light from a source.

2. How is irradiance affected by infrared light?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than visible light. When infrared light is incident on a surface, it can cause an increase in temperature and therefore an increase in irradiance.

3. What is a diffuser and how does it affect irradiance?

A diffuser is a device that scatters light in different directions, rather than allowing it to pass through in a straight line. This can help to create a more even distribution of light and reduce any hot spots, resulting in a more consistent and lower overall irradiance.

4. Can the type of diffuser used affect the irradiance from an infrared light source?

Yes, the type of diffuser used can have a significant impact on the irradiance from an infrared light source. Different materials and designs can affect the amount of light that is scattered and the overall distribution of the light, resulting in varying levels of irradiance.

5. How can irradiance from an infrared light source after a diffuser be measured?

Irradiance can be measured using a radiometer, which is a device that is specifically designed to measure the intensity of light. The radiometer can be placed at a specific distance from the light source and the reading will indicate the amount of irradiance in watts per square meter (W/m²).