Irreversible Process: Heat Transfer Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of irreversible processes, where energy and entropy play important roles. The definition of an irreversible process as one where entropy increases is corrected, as entropy can also decrease in an irreversible process. An example is given of an isolated system where removing heat from a hot body leads to a decrease in entropy. The importance of clearly defining the system under consideration as being isolated is emphasized.
Pushoam
upload_2017-10-3_15-46-57.png

Does this mean that any process in which energy goes away\comes into from the system to the surrounding as heat is irreversible and in any irreversible process, energy must go away
\come into from the system to the surrounding through heat?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy is not the only law relevant. Think of entropy as well as energy.

anorlunda said:
Conservation of energy is not the only law relevant. Think of entropy as well as energy.
This reminds me the following:
Irreversible process is that process in which entropy of the system increases.
So, if I get a system whose energy remains conserved ( that is it doesn't get lost through heat) ,but entropy increases, then the system will be in irreversible process. For example, isolated ideal gas as ideal gas has only elastic collision, their energy remains conserved but the entropy increases, hence the ideal gas are in irreversible process. But, what is the name of this irreversible process?

So, in irreversible process, loss of energy through heat is not necessary. Right?

Pushoam said:
This reminds me the following:
Irreversible process is that process in which entropy of the system increases.
So, if I get a system whose energy remains conserved ( that is it doesn't get lost through heat) ,but entropy increases, then the system will be in irreversible process. For example, isolated ideal gas as ideal gas has only elastic collision, their energy remains conserved but the entropy increases, hence the ideal gas are in irreversible process. But, what is the name of this irreversible process?

So, in irreversible process, loss of energy through heat is not necessary. Right?
Your definition of an irreversible process in terms of an entropy increase is incorrect. The entropy of a system in an irreversible process can also decrease.

Chestermiller said:
The entropy of a system in an irreversible process can also decrease.
Entropy of an irreversible process always increases.
Entropy of a reversible process remains constant.
I have never heard that the entropy of a system in an irreversible process can also decrease.
Will you please give me an example?

Pushoam said:
Entropy of an irreversible process always increases.
Entropy of a reversible process remains constant.
I have never heard that the entropy of a system in an irreversible process can also decrease.
Will you please give me an example?
I remove heat from a hot body (my system) by contacting it with a colder reservoir.

Chestermiller said:
I remove heat from a hot body (my system) by contacting it with a colder reservoir.
But then the hotter body is not an isolated system.
The hotter body with the cold reservoir is the isolated system. And the entropy of this isolated system increases.

Pushoam said:
But then the hotter body is not an isolated system.
The hotter body with the cold reservoir is the isolated system. And the entropy of this isolated system increases.
This is correct. But, in you previous posts, you did not identify the system under consideration as being isolated. You just identified it as a "system."

Chestermiller said:
This is correct. But, in you previous posts, you did not identify the system under consideration as being isolated. You just identified it as a "system."
I am sorry for not being clear in the earlier post.
I assumed that by system it is meant an isolated system.

Thanks for pointing it out.
From next time I would be clear.

What is an irreversible process?

An irreversible process is a thermodynamic process that cannot be reversed to its initial state without the input of external work or energy. In other words, the system undergoes permanent changes and cannot return to its original state.

What is heat transfer dynamics?

Heat transfer dynamics is the study of how heat moves from one object to another. It involves understanding the mechanisms and laws that govern heat transfer, such as conduction, convection, and radiation.

How does irreversibility affect heat transfer dynamics?

In an irreversible process, there is always some loss of energy due to friction or other factors. This results in a decrease in the efficiency of heat transfer. Therefore, irreversibility can significantly impact the rate and amount of heat transfer in a system.

What are some examples of irreversible processes in heat transfer dynamics?

Examples of irreversible processes in heat transfer dynamics include the transfer of heat from a hot object to a cooler one, combustion processes, and thermal expansion of materials. These processes cannot be reversed without external work or energy input.

What are the implications of irreversible processes in heat transfer dynamics?

Irreversible processes have important implications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. They play a crucial role in understanding energy efficiency, thermodynamic equilibrium, and the behavior of complex systems. In addition, they can also help in designing more efficient and sustainable energy systems.