Irritated by Matlab should I retake the course?

In summary, the engineering student is struggling with their MATLAB class and has the lowest grade in that class compared to their other classes. They are considering retaking the course or just getting through it, but others suggest practicing with reference books and seeking help from the professor. MATLAB is important for future engineering courses and can be learned through practice and experimentation.
Metta
Hey fellas how are you all doing? This is my first year as an engineering student and so far I am enjoying most of my classes(Math, chem, programming) except for one, my MATLAB class. This class is really a pain in my ***. This is my first time seeing a programming language and I have a grade of 80% in this class now only because I get so much help from friends. This is also the lowest grade out of all my classes. I know I can pass the course but i don't feel like I am learning everything that I should. would it be wise to retake the course or should I just go through it and just get it over with?

Thank you for your insights.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you're passing right so I'd stick it out. Matlab becomes real important in future classes on engineering so you need no matter what. Learning to program is a lot like following recipes. Once you've seen how it's done you can repeat for a future problem. Keep working with your friends and please talk to the professor about it. It may be that this class is a screener class designed see who moves ahead in your major and who drops out.

Perhaps a MATLAB reference book would be helpful or the tutorials on the MATLAB site.

This is a pretty good reference for matlab:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123943981/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Metta said:
Hey fellas how are you all doing? This is my first year as an engineering student and so far I am enjoying most of my classes(Math, chem, programming) except for one, my MATLAB class. This class is really a pain in my ***. This is my first time seeing a programming language and I have a grade of 80% in this class now only because I get so much help from friends. This is also the lowest grade out of all my classes. I know I can pass the course but i don't feel like I am learning everything that I should. would it be wise to retake the course or should I just go through it and just get it over with?

Thank you for your insights.

I would just get through it. You can take a book like Matlab for engineers to practice with after you get through the course. As one of the other posters mentioned, you will be seeing Matlab a lot in higher courses where it's just too difficult and time consuming to do things by hand. I would also pick up maple too since it's symbolic. I like to first do a problem in maple or Matlab and then I'll write it up for turn in. I do this in courses like heat transfer, reactor theory, ionizing radiation and fluid dynamics.

Try to learn as much as you can from the class while you are taking it. Your best bet is the read reference books and experiment on your own time and NOT to retake the class if you can help it.

I understand the frustration of struggling with a new programming language. However, it is important to remember that learning a new skill takes time and practice. Retaking the course may be beneficial if you feel like you are not fully grasping the material, as it will give you the opportunity to review and strengthen your understanding. Alternatively, you could also seek additional resources or assistance from your professor or tutoring services to help you improve in the class. Ultimately, the decision to retake the course should be based on your personal learning goals and what will benefit you the most in the long run.

1. Why am I feeling irritated by Matlab?

It is common for individuals to feel frustrated or irritated when learning a new software or programming language. Matlab has a steep learning curve and can be challenging for beginners. It is normal to experience frustration, but with practice and patience, you can improve your skills.

2. Is it necessary to retake the course if I am feeling irritated by Matlab?

Retaking the course is not always necessary. It may be helpful to review the course materials or seek additional resources to better understand the concepts and improve your skills. However, if you feel that retaking the course will benefit you, then it may be a good option.

3. How long does it take to become comfortable with Matlab?

The amount of time it takes to become comfortable with Matlab varies for each individual. It depends on your prior experience with programming and your dedication to practicing and learning the language. With consistent practice, most individuals become comfortable with Matlab within a few months.

4. How can I improve my skills in Matlab?

There are several ways to improve your skills in Matlab, including practicing regularly, seeking help from online tutorials or forums, and attending workshops or courses. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks and to familiarize yourself with the software's documentation.

5. What are some common challenges when learning Matlab?

Some common challenges when learning Matlab include understanding the syntax and structure of the language, debugging errors, and managing large datasets. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and programming concepts to fully utilize Matlab's capabilities.