Is 3.5 tev enough to discover Higgs/SUSY by 2013

• Thread starter ensabah6
  • Start date
In summary, it is still unclear whether or not the LHC will be able to find the Higgs particle in regions where the Tevatron has not been able to. It all depends on the particle's energy and luminosity.
ensabah6
based on its currently energy and luminosity, can LHC discover Higgs/SUSY in regions where Tevatron has not been able to, if that is where Higgs is hiding?

(which then gets upgraded to 7 tev)

Physics news on Phys.org
The best answer is a definite maybe. No one knows for sure one way or the other.

Heh, is this for intrade.com ?

Current confidence limits are made assuming the standard model is correct. If there are supersymmetric particles, etc. then things get even more interesting. So we can guess all day.

I have some friends in high energy physics, and it sounds like a light higgs would take a lot of work to understand the detector really well first. So getting that 5 sigma discovery that intrade requires may take awhile even after the first signs of a "bump" are there.

It all depends on where it is - if it's just on the high side of the Tevatron limits, that's easy. If it's very heavy or very light it takes much more data.

Vanadium 50 said:
It all depends on where it is - if it's just on the high side of the Tevatron limits, that's easy. If it's very heavy or very light it takes much more data.

ok, is it currently collecting data?

No. Collisions in 3-3.5 hours at the soonest.

Damn it, I really wanted a single flat "Yes"... I know that isn't possible... but I wanted it. Stupid liquid helium, silly gazillion miles of piping and tunnels. I WANT MY HIGGS TODAY, not in a week!

That's in the spirit of normal scientifc inquiry, right? *looks around* right?!

All kidding aside, forget when it starts COLLECTING data... we're talking about a lot of data, are we not? More importantly, how many years would you imagine is a "safe bet" for any form of tastey information to be sifted from the chaff?

Oh, when I die, I would also like to be cremated and stuffed into an active nuclear reactor. Take a particle of "me" that (through enormous expense and countrywide brownouts) has been sufficiently bombarded to become gold... then shove me into a cyclotron, synchroton, or preferably the LHC. My only regret is not being able to see my own hadron jet. :cry:

This is more of a calibration period for the detectors and the LHC crew itself. They figured most of their data from these runs will be already known particles, which will help in calibrating the machines to be more accurate. The ramping to 7TeV per in 2 years will be at full capacity of the LHC and that is when the "new physics" should arrive.

Vanadium 50 said:
No. Collisions in 3-3.5 hours at the soonest.

Will it be collecting data after collisions? If Higgs or SUSy are part of the collision fragments will there the first detections in detectors?

ensabah6 said:
Will it be collecting data after collisions? If Higgs or SUSy are part of the collision fragments will there the first detections in detectors?

There have been around a half million events collected within all of the detectors in the past two cycles. They will not know until they have time to analyze all of the data, get rid of corrupt data, and compile it and look for possible candidates. There won't be any new physics coming from these collisions, or so it has been said by those at the LHC.

JustinLevy said:
Current confidence limits are made assuming the standard model is correct.

If the standard model is correct, the highest probability energy region for finding the Higgs particle has already been searched (This is not me but in a paper I read a while back, though I'm sure some would optimistically disagree, and there seems to be a lot of available theoretical wiggle room for a "standard" model).

enotstrebor said:
If the standard model is correct, the highest probability energy region for finding the Higgs particle has already been searched (This is not me but in a paper I read a while back, though I'm sure some would optimistically disagree, and there seems to be a lot of available theoretical wiggle room for a "standard" model).

Well, this does seem like an ideal time to adopt a "wait and see" attitude, given that we all have no choice in the matter. :rofl:

1. Is 3.5 TeV enough energy to discover the Higgs/SUSY particle?

It is possible to discover the Higgs/SUSY particle at 3.5 TeV, but it may not be enough energy to definitively confirm their existence. Higher energy levels, such as those produced by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, are needed to fully explore the energy range where these particles are predicted to exist.

2. Why is 2013 significant for the discovery of the Higgs/SUSY particle?

2013 was the year when the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN was scheduled to reach its highest energy levels, making it the most powerful particle accelerator in the world. This provided a crucial opportunity for scientists to search for the Higgs/SUSY particle at higher energies.

3. How does the energy level affect the search for the Higgs/SUSY particle?

The higher the energy level, the greater the likelihood of producing and detecting the Higgs/SUSY particle. This is because the particle is predicted to have a high mass, and therefore high energy collisions are needed to create it in the laboratory.

4. What other factors besides energy level can impact the discovery of the Higgs/SUSY particle?

Besides energy level, the amount and quality of data collected, as well as the sensitivity of the detection equipment, can also play a significant role in the discovery of the Higgs/SUSY particle. Advanced analysis techniques and collaboration among scientists from different fields are also important factors.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering the Higgs/SUSY particle?

If the Higgs/SUSY particle is discovered, it would confirm the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics and provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It could also potentially open up new avenues for research and advancements in technology.