Is a 2-body elliptical orbit stable in GR?

In summary, the phenomenon of a pair of black holes radiating away their mutual gravitational potential energy as gravitational waves and collapsing together to form a single black hole is not dependent on an elliptical orbit, but rather on the distribution of mass changing in a way that produces gravitational radiation. Additionally, orbits in GR are not elliptical and the postdiction of Mercury's orbital precession was one of the first indications of this.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I understand that in a 2-body system a circular orbit is gravitationally stable in General Relativity. In Newtonian dynamics, an elliptical orbit is also stable, but is this also true in GR? I understand that the orbit precesses, but I do not intend that to change my meaning regarding stability.

What prompts this question is the now documented phenomenon of a pair of black holes radiating away their mutual gravitational potential energy as gravitational waves, and ultimately collapsing together to form a single black hole. I am curious about whether this phenomenon depends on an elliptical orbit or on some other mechanism.

If an elliptical orbit is unstable in GR, how does the eccentricity change during the collapse? Does it grow, shrink, or remain the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe any orbital system is stable in GR due to gravitational radiation. The time scale may be enormous, but all orbits decay.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Buzz Bloom said:
What prompts this question is the now documented phenomenon of a pair of black holes radiating away their mutual gravitational potential energy as gravitational waves, and ultimately collapsing together to form a single black hole. I am curious about whether this phenomenon depends on an elliptical orbit or on some other mechanism.
Gravitational radiation does not require an elliptical orbit. It only requires that the distribution of mass changes as seen from a given direction so that at some point the masses have a maximum elongation in one direction and at some other point they have a minimum elongation in the same direction (and possibly a maximum in some other). For a pair of orbiting objects, the maximum elongation occurs twice per orbit, so the frequency of the radiation is twice the orbit frequency.

For more information, see the Wikipedia article: Gravitational wave

Likes Buzz Bloom
Also, orbits are not elliptical in GR - even if you neglect the gravitational radiation. The postdiction of Mercury's orbital precession was one of the first strong hints for GR.

Likes vanhees71 and Buzz Bloom

1. What is a 2-body elliptical orbit?

A 2-body elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which two objects, such as a planet and a star, revolve around each other in an elliptical shape. This type of orbit is governed by the laws of gravity and is commonly observed in celestial bodies.

2. How does General Relativity (GR) affect the stability of a 2-body elliptical orbit?

GR is a theory of gravity that explains the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. It predicts that the orbit of two bodies in space is not a perfect ellipse, but rather a slowly rotating ellipse that gradually shifts over time. This phenomenon, known as precession, can affect the stability of a 2-body elliptical orbit.

3. Is a 2-body elliptical orbit stable in GR?

Yes, a 2-body elliptical orbit can be stable in GR. However, this stability depends on various factors such as the mass and distance of the objects, as well as the strength of the gravitational force between them. In some cases, the orbit may become unstable due to perturbations from other celestial bodies.

4. How does the stability of a 2-body elliptical orbit change over time in GR?

In GR, the stability of a 2-body elliptical orbit can change over time due to the effects of precession. As the orbit gradually shifts, the gravitational pull between the two objects may also change, leading to a shift in their positions and potentially affecting the stability of the orbit.

5. Are there any real-world examples of 2-body elliptical orbits in GR?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of 2-body elliptical orbits in GR. One well-known example is the orbit of the Earth around the Sun, which is not a perfect circle but an elliptical shape. Other examples include the orbits of moons around their planets and binary star systems in which two stars revolve around each other in an elliptical orbit.