Is a C^1 diffeomorphism with f of class C^k also a C^k diffeomorphism?

In summary, the exercise asks to prove that a C^1 diffeomorphism is also a C^k diffeomorphism, and the hint provided uses the Chain Rule and the Inverse Function Theorem to show that f^{-1} is also a C^k diffeomorphism. This is achieved by showing that (Df)(f^{-1}(x)) is an invertible matrix, and using Cramer's Rule to express the partials of Df^{-1} as a polynomial combination of the partials of f.
Avogadro Number
I am studying Choquet-Bruhat's Introduction to General Relativity, Black Holes and Cosmology, and I don't follow the hint in Exercise I.2.1:

Exercise I.2.1 Let U,V be open subsets of R^d. Prove that a C^1 diffeomorphism f:U-->V with f of class C^k is a C^k diffeomorphism.

Hint: ##\partial (f f^{-1})/ \partial x^i \equiv 0##.

Isn't f f^{-1} the identity map, and then how is the claimed partial identically zero? And how is this useful? Are we then meant to use the Chain Rule?
I would be grateful for any help! Thanks!

[Moderator's note: Moved from SR/GR.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I now realize that the Chain Rule does help, and probably the "0" in the hint is a typo, and is probably meant to be an identity, with the partial derivative replaced by derivative of as a map from R^d to R^d.
Then f o f^{-1}=id , the Chain Rule , and the Inverse Function Theorem can be used to show that f^{-1} is C^k too.

All I can think of is that if f is a diffeomorphism, then ##f(f^{-1}(x))=x ##. But this is for a vector ##x=(x_1,...,x_d)##

As $f\circ f^{-1}=\textrm{id}$, we obtain $(Df)(f^{-1}(x))\cdot (Df^{-1})(x)=\textrm{id}$, and so we see that $(Df)(f^{-1}(x))$ is an invertible matrix, and also $(Df^{-1})(x)=((Df)(f^{-1}(x)))^{-1}$, and by Cramer's Rule,
we see that the $(i,j)$th entry of $Df^{-1}(x)$ is given by a polynomial combination of the partials of $f$, divided by the nonzero Jacobian determinant of $Df$. As both of the latter are $C^{k-1}$, it follows that the partials of $Df^{-1}$ are also $C^{k-1}$, and so $f^{-1}$ is $C^k$.

1. What are differentiation classes?

Differentiation classes are a way of categorizing organisms based on their physical and genetic characteristics. These characteristics can include traits such as body structure, behavior, and reproductive strategies. Organisms within the same differentiation class share similar traits and are thought to have evolved from a common ancestor.

2. How are differentiation classes determined?

Differentiation classes are determined through a process called phylogenetic analysis. This involves studying the genetic relationships between organisms and using this information to create a branching diagram, or phylogenetic tree, that shows how different species are related. Organisms that share a more recent common ancestor are grouped together in the same differentiation class.

3. What is the purpose of differentiation classes?

The purpose of differentiation classes is to help scientists better understand the diversity of life on Earth and how different species are related to each other. By categorizing organisms into differentiation classes, scientists can make predictions about the characteristics and behaviors of different species, as well as study the evolutionary history of different groups of organisms.

4. How many differentiation classes are there?

There are currently five main differentiation classes, also known as kingdoms: Animalia (animals), Plantae (plants), Fungi (fungi), Protista (protists), and Monera (bacteria and archaea). However, these categories are constantly evolving as new research and discoveries are made, and some scientists argue for additional differentiation classes to be recognized.

5. Can organisms belong to more than one differentiation class?

No, organisms can only belong to one differentiation class. However, some organisms may share characteristics with multiple classes, making it difficult to assign them to a specific group. In these cases, scientists may create new differentiation classes or reclassify the organism into a different group based on more recent research and understanding.