Is a C grade in thermo really bad?

In summary, thermo is a difficult course and a low grade may indicate a weakness in the student's skills.
Ahmed Abdalla
Hey all, I'm currently studying for my thermo final and it's really kicking my butt. My average has been a C and if I do EXTREMELY well on my final I'll be REALLY pushing for a B. I'm not sure how thermo is taught in other universities, but I'm learning it through statistical mechanics with concepts such as partition functions and all and I never took statistical mechanics before so you can imagine my confusion. I was wondering if a C is really bad in the long run? I mean I'll have to teach the subject to myself again in the future, maybe I'll understand it better with prior knowledge, but grades wise I'm scared. I never got below a B+ in physics courses and as a physics major who wants to go to grad school I feel like I'm failing life with that C!

EDIT: how much does a C grade affect chances of getting into grad school?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want us to say? It's OK to give up?

Likes Ahmed Abdalla
Vanadium 50 said:
What do you want us to say? It's OK to give up?
Nah I'm wondering how bad is a C when applying for grad schools

It's bad. Not as bad as two C's or an F. Now what are you going to do with it?

Vanadium 50 said:
It's bad. Not as bad as two C's or an F. Now what are you going to do with it?
I'll try to make up for it!

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics is one of the focus areas in most comprehensive exams. So a C grade in it will likely garner more attention than a C in an unrelated elective. If you're struggling with your class now, it might draw into question whether you'll be successful in challenging the department's comprehensive exam.

That said, put your best effort into it now. Sometimes you can be surprised by the curve.

Likes symbolipoint and Ahmed Abdalla
Not so much about Thermodynamics, but have you ever tried reviewing a course or its close-prerequisites and the course you do poorly in, on your own, before studying it again in school? If you do/did, you should expect to learn it better the second time.

A lot depends on context. GPA, grades in other physics courses, PGRE scores, etc.

A C in thermo suggests a weakness. Does the other available info tend to confirm the weakness or suggest the C may be an isolated event unrelated to the skills and preparation habits of the student?

1. Is a C grade in thermo really bad?

It depends on your individual academic goals and the expectations of your institution or program. Generally, a C grade is considered average or satisfactory, but it may not meet the requirements for certain majors or graduate programs.

2. Will a C grade in thermo affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Again, this depends on the specific graduate program and its requirements. Some programs may require a minimum grade of B in certain courses, while others may place more emphasis on other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation. It's important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in.

3. Can I retake thermo if I got a C?

Most institutions allow students to retake courses in which they received a C or lower. However, policies may vary and there may be restrictions on the number of times a course can be retaken. It's best to check with your academic advisor or the registrar's office for specific guidelines.

4. How will a C grade in thermo affect my overall GPA?

Since a C grade is considered average, it will have a neutral effect on your GPA. However, if you are trying to maintain a high GPA for academic or scholarship purposes, earning a C may lower your overall GPA.

5. Is it worth retaking thermo to improve my grade?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and reasons for wanting to improve your grade. If it is necessary for your academic or career goals, then it may be worth considering retaking the course. However, keep in mind that retaking a course may require additional time and resources.