Is a change of coordinates a diffeomorphism?

In summary, diffeomorphisms are bijections between two manifolds that preserve the dimensionality and provide both a normal map and its inverse to be differentiable over the entire domain and codomain of the bijection. This means that a change of co-ordinates is a diffeomorphism between two manifolds. Additionally, a diffeomorphism implies continuity and inversibility, both of which are necessary for the definition of a diffeomorphism.
mnb96
Hello,
the definition of diffeomorphism is: a bijection [itex]f:M\rightarrow N[/itex] between two manifolds, such that both f and f-1 are smooth.

Is it thus correct to say that a (admissible) change of coordinates is a diffeomorphism between two manifolds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mnb96.

I'm going to assume yes since a bijection should preserve the dimensionality and provide both a normal map and its inverse to be differentiable over the entire domain and codomain of the bijection.

In fact because of the inverse function theorem, the invertibility requires that the Jacobian never be zero since a bijection must be defined everywhere.

If a change of co-ordinates is simply referring to going from one co-ordinate system with intrinsic dimension N to another with the same intrinsic dimension N with a bijection for every transformation, then it sounds right that it is a diffeomorphism.

Hi chiro,
thanks for your reply.
The way I formulated my question, and the answer you have given seem to suggest that: a change of coordinates is a diffeomorphism of manifolds.

Now I am wondering: is the converse true? Are all diffeomorphisms expressible as change of coordinates?

I think the answer is true and my reasoning is that bijections preserve the dimension which means that it will be a valid co-ordinate change (since this has to happen).

The other reason is that a bijection implies an inverse transformation in both directions for all elements of the respective domains in both spaces.

The other thing is that you have continuity requirements for both spaces as well.

Summing this up, these are my reasons why I am inclined to say yes to your answer.

I guess the thing is define what a change of co-ordinates really refers to. To me it just refers to being able to go from co-ordinate system A to B for all points in A and B and that the continuity is preserved in both systems (so that if I go on a continuous trajectory from a1 to a2 in A then the same continuity properties apply in B: i.e. that both paths are continuous and that if the path in A is differentiable, then it is differentiable in B).

So to clarify: if you have a path that is continuous or differentiable in A then that same path when transformed to system B is continuous or differentiable in B respectively.

I can't really think of another way to formalize it unless there is some standard definition that already exists.

What are you meaning with "change of coordinates" in the first place. Do you mean that if [itex]\varphi:U\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and [itex]\psi:V\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] are smooth charts, then [itex]\psi\circ \varphi^{-1}[/itex] is your change of coordinates?? Yes, that is a diffeomorphism indeed since it is smooth and has smooth inverse.

But these are only diffeomorphisms between open subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. So do you want to restrict yourself to diffeomorphisms of open subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]?? I guess I don't get the question very well...

micromass said:
What are you meaning with "change of coordinates" in the first place. Do you mean that if [itex]\varphi:U\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and [itex]\psi:V\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] are smooth charts, then [itex]\psi\circ \varphi^{-1}[/itex] is your change of coordinates??

Yes, I think this is pretty much what I had in mind.
micromass said:
...But these are only diffeomorphisms between open subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. So do you want to restrict yourself to diffeomorphisms of open subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]??

For the application I had in mind, yes. I need to restrict myself to diffeomorphisms between open subsets of Rn.
...And maybe I also see your point here. You were basically telling me that the very notion of diffeomorphism does not necessarily have to be defined between (sub)manifold of Rn, but instead between manifolds of some more "exotic" space than Rn; and these diffeomorphisms won't be "captured" by change of coordinates.

mnb96 said:
For the application I had in mind, yes. I need to restrict myself to diffeomorphisms between open subsets of Rn.
...And maybe I also see your point here. You were basically telling me that the very notion of diffeomorphism does not necessarily have to be defined between (sub)manifold of Rn, but instead between manifolds of some more "exotic" space than Rn; and these diffeomorphisms won't be "captured" by change of coordinates.

Well, in fact, every manifold is a submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] by Whitney's embedding theorem. But change of coordinates seem to be only between open submanifolds, and not every manifold can be seen as an open submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], of course.

So yes, there are diffeomorphisms out there which are no simple change of coordinates. However, we can restrict our question and ask: are all diffeomorphisms between open submanifolds of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] some kind of change of coordinates. The answer is of course yes. Let [itex]U,V\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] open and let [itex]F:U\rightarrow V[/itex] be a diffeomorphism. Then F can be seen as a smooth chart of U. But the identity map can also be seen as a smooth chart of U. The change of coordinates between these charts is exactly F.

Hi,
thank micromass. I think I have problems in understanding the definition of open/closed manifold.
I am also confused between open/closed subset and open/closed manifolds.

I was trying to think of the example of polar coordinates. In polar coordinates we have a 1-to-1 mapping between ℝ2-{0,0} and ℝ+×[0,2π).

Now, is ℝ2 a (open) manifold at all? If not, we have found also a coordinate change that is not a diffeomorphism, as diffeomorphisms seem to be defined as mappings defined between manifolds.

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a function between two differentiable manifolds that is smooth, invertible, and has a smooth inverse. In simpler terms, it is a smooth bijective function that preserves the smoothness of a manifold.

2. Why is a diffeomorphism important in change of coordinates?

A diffeomorphism is important in change of coordinates because it allows for a smooth transformation between different coordinate systems. This is useful in various areas of mathematics and science, such as in studying the behavior of systems under different coordinate systems or finding simpler representations of complex systems.

3. How is a diffeomorphism different from a regular function?

A diffeomorphism is different from a regular function in that it must be smooth and have a smooth inverse, while a regular function may not be differentiable or have a differentiable inverse. Additionally, a diffeomorphism must also be bijective, while a regular function may not be one-to-one or onto.

4. Can a change of coordinates always be represented as a diffeomorphism?

No, a change of coordinates may not always be represented as a diffeomorphism. For a change of coordinates to be a diffeomorphism, it must satisfy certain conditions such as smoothness and invertibility. If these conditions are not met, then the change of coordinates cannot be represented as a diffeomorphism.

5. What are the practical applications of diffeomorphisms in science?

Diffeomorphisms have various practical applications in science, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to study the behavior of systems under different coordinate systems, to simplify complex systems, and to map one object onto another in computer graphics. Diffeomorphisms are also used in differential geometry and topology to study the properties of manifolds.