Is a flux density of 227.6 T realistic for a 5cm bar magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the flux density of a magnet and the value obtained in an experiment, which is 227.6 T. The participants question the sensibility of this value for a small bar magnet and provide information on the typical strength of rare earth and iron bar magnets. The original value is found to be incorrect and the corrected value is around 0.22 T.
Cici2017
Flux density of a magnet is about how many T?

In an experiment, I obtained the number 227.6 T.

Is this a sensible value for a small (5cm long) bar magnet? Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
Tesla and Farad are the two units where if you have 1 of it, you have a LOT.

Cici2017 said:
In an experiment, I obtained the number 227.6 T.
how did you get that figure
show some working so that some one may be able to help you understand where you went wrong

so you should have gleaned from @CWatters link that strength of one of those smaller rare Earth magnets is around 1.25T

Therefore if your magnet is a typical older style iron bar magnet, it may be around 0.25 to 0.5 T at the mostDae

Yes, thank you everyone. I found that I did something wrong in my calculations. Now I have a value around 0.22 T.

1. Is a flux density of 227.6 T realistic for a 5cm bar magnet?

It depends on the type of magnet and its specific properties. Generally, a flux density of 227.6 T is considered high and uncommon for a 5cm bar magnet.

2. What is flux density and how is it measured?

Flux density, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G), and can be measured using a magnetometer.

3. Can the flux density of a magnet be increased?

Yes, the flux density of a magnet can be increased by either increasing the strength of the magnetic material or by increasing the size of the magnet. However, there is a limit to how much the flux density can be increased.

4. What is the typical flux density for a bar magnet?

The typical flux density for a bar magnet can range from 0.5 T to 1 T, depending on the size and strength of the magnet. A flux density of 227.6 T would be considered unusually high for a bar magnet of this size.

5. What factors can affect the flux density of a magnet?

The flux density of a magnet can be affected by its size, shape, and the strength of the magnetic material it is made of. Other factors such as temperature and external magnetic fields can also influence the flux density of a magnet.