Is a quasi-static but irreversible process possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a reversible process as stated in a thermodynamics textbook. There is a question about whether a process can be quasi-static but not reversible, and examples of such processes are given. It is concluded that a reversible process is one in which there is no change in the total entropy of the system and its surroundings, and that it must be quasi-static in order to approach reversibility. This is due to the fact that steep gradients result in rapid processes, which lead to entropy generation and irreversibility.
goodphy
Hello.

I read the textbook of the thermodynamic and it said the definition of the reversible process as "thermodynamic process which is slow enough so the system state is always infinitesimally close to the thermodynamic equilibrium (quasi-static) during the process. Such a process can always be reversed without changing the thermodynamic state of the universe". I accepted this definition in a way that "quasi-static" and "reversible" is equivalent.

Is this true? Is there any process which is quasi-static but not reversible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat transfer from a hot slab to a cold slab through an intervening wall of very low thermal conductivity.

Last edited:
Likes goodphy
goodphy said:
Is there any process which is quasi-static but not reversible?

A reversible process doesn't increase entropy and thus cannot exist in the real world (although we can come arbitrarily close). Every real process is irreversible. You can generally slow down a process as much as you wish to satisfy your criterion for "quasi-static". Another simple example to complement Chester's is a container of water with a pinhole opening, left to evaporate. Others are a battery attached to a very high resistance, a load applied to a solid at a low temperature (i.e., a solid with little propensity to creep) or a high-viscosity liquid, a nonspherical asteroid, or an amorphous solid whose equilibrium state is crystalline.

Likes Castello and goodphy
Mapes said:
A reversible process doesn't increase entropy and thus cannot exist in the real world (although we can come arbitrarily close). Every real process is irreversible. You can generally slow down a process as much as you wish to satisfy your criterion for "quasi-static". Another simple example to complement Chester's is a container of water with a pinhole opening, left to evaporate. Others are a battery attached to a very high resistance, a load applied to a solid at a low temperature (i.e., a solid with little propensity to creep) or a high-viscosity liquid, a nonspherical asteroid, or an amorphous solid whose equilibrium state is crystalline.

Thanks you! you and Chestermiller suggest examples of a quasi-static and irreversible process. I've searched the internet and found that the reversible process is quasi-static but its converse is not guaranteed. So, I think the definition of the reversible process given in my book has some hole. So, the true definition of the reversible process is that the reversible process is the process which doesn't change a total entropy of the system and its surrounding or simply the entropy of the universe, right?

Could you tell me why the reversible process has to be quasi-static? Why the process which is done pretty much fast so never be quasi-static has to be an irreversible process?

Whenever energy transfer is driven by a gradient (e.g., a pressure difference causing a change in volume, a voltage difference causing electric charge transfer, or a temperature difference that heats something up), entropy is produced and reversibility is violated. In contrast, steep gradients are associated with rapid process because the driving force is large. So reversibility can only be approached through very slight gradients, resulting in low rates (i.e., quasi-static processes).

To add to what Mapes said, in a system featuring finite velocity gradients, entropy generation is caused by viscous dissipation of mechanical energy to internal energy, and the local rate of entropy generation per unit volume is proportional to the square of the velocity gradient and to the viscosity. In a system featuring finite temperature gradients, the local rate of entropy generation per unit volume is proportional to the square of the temperature gradient and to the thermal conductivity.

1. Is it possible to have a quasi-static but irreversible process in nature?

Yes, it is possible to have a quasi-static but irreversible process in nature. This type of process involves slow and continuous changes, but it still leads to a final, irreversible state.

2. What is the difference between a quasi-static and a reversible process?

Unlike a quasi-static process, a reversible process involves changes that can be undone, resulting in the system returning to its initial state. This means that the final state of a reversible process is the same as the initial state, while a quasi-static process will lead to a different final state.

3. How can a quasi-static process be irreversible?

A quasi-static process can be irreversible if there is an external force acting on the system that cannot be balanced by the system itself. This can cause changes to occur in the system that cannot be undone, resulting in an irreversible process.

4. Can the irreversibility of a quasi-static process be reversed?

No, the irreversibility of a quasi-static process cannot be reversed. This is because the changes that occur during a quasi-static process are continuous and lead to a final, irreversible state.

5. Why is the concept of quasi-static but irreversible process important in thermodynamics?

The concept of quasi-static but irreversible process is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand and analyze real-world processes that may not be completely reversible. It allows us to make approximations and simplifications in our calculations while still accounting for the irreversible nature of certain processes.