Is a resonator linewidth affected by its nonlinearity ?

• Thread starter gagio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonator
In summary, the linewidth of a resonator is defined by the product of its damping rate and resonance frequency. In the case of a strongly nonlinear oscillator, the frequency can vary with the oscillation amplitude, leading to an increase in the linewidth of the power spectra. This nonlinearity can also affect the linewidth of the oscillator when it becomes a resonator, potentially exceeding the expected value of 2Δf = 2γf. This phenomenon has been observed in various systems and its specific effects will depend on the system and its parameters.
gagio
Hello everybody,

I am new on this website and I hoppe I choosed the right section.

If I am correct, the linewidth of a resonator 2Δf must be defined by the product of its damping rate γ and its resonance frequency f :
2Δf = 2.γ.f

In my case, I want to consider a strongly nonlinear oscillator, the frequency varies a lot with the oscillation amplitude. I already know that this nonlinearity will increase a lot the linewidth of the power spectra.

I wonder if such large the nonlinearity can also affect the linewidth of the oscillator when it is not excited (it becomes a resonator), and then be higher than 2.γ.f.

If you have seen this problem in any type of system I would be very happy :)

Thank you very much in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your understanding of the linewidth of a resonator is correct. It is indeed defined by the product of its damping rate and resonance frequency. In the case of a strongly nonlinear oscillator, the frequency will vary with the oscillation amplitude, which can affect the linewidth of the power spectra.

To answer your question, yes, the nonlinearity can also affect the linewidth of the oscillator when it is not excited and becomes a resonator. In fact, the nonlinearity can increase the linewidth beyond the expected value of 2Δf = 2γf. This is because the nonlinearity introduces additional frequency components in the system, which can contribute to the overall linewidth.

This phenomenon has been observed in various systems, such as optical cavities, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), and superconducting resonators. The specific effects of nonlinearity on the linewidth will depend on the specific system and its parameters.

I hope this helps answer your question. Good luck with your research!

1. How does nonlinearity affect the linewidth of a resonator?

The nonlinearity of a resonator can affect its linewidth by causing a broadening or narrowing effect. This is due to the fact that nonlinearity can impact the resonance frequency of the resonator, which in turn affects the width of the spectral lines.

2. Is there a relationship between nonlinearity and the quality factor (Q) of a resonator?

Yes, there is a relationship between nonlinearity and the quality factor of a resonator. Nonlinear effects can cause energy loss in the resonator, leading to a decrease in Q factor. This can ultimately impact the linewidth of the resonator.

3. Can nonlinearity be controlled to improve the linewidth of a resonator?

Yes, nonlinearity can be controlled to improve the linewidth of a resonator. This can be achieved by carefully selecting the materials and design of the resonator, as well as by implementing techniques such as feedback control to compensate for nonlinear effects.

4. How does temperature affect the nonlinearity and linewidth of a resonator?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the nonlinearity and linewidth of a resonator. As the temperature increases, the nonlinearity of the resonator also increases, leading to a broadening of the linewidth. This is due to the thermal expansion and changes in material properties at higher temperatures.

5. What are the practical implications of nonlinearity in resonators?

Nonlinearity in resonators can have practical implications in various fields, such as in telecommunications and sensing applications. In telecommunications, nonlinear effects can cause signal distortions and limit the transmission distance. In sensing applications, nonlinearity can impact the accuracy and sensitivity of the sensor, leading to potential measurement errors.