Is a Self-Sufficient Car Possible with Extra Wheels?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a self-sufficient car powered by wind turbines on extra wheels, but the idea is dismissed because it violates the principles of perpetual motion and free energy, which are forbidden topics in the PF community.
mcdanko
Okay I'm probably way out of my league here because in only 17 and this is my first post, but I was wondering about a self-sufficient car. I know putting a wind turbine on an automobile adds resistance which negates effect. However, a wind turbine builds energy just by spinning, and an automobile has 4 spinning wheels (2 axles). What if we could use the same mechanics of a wind turbine on any "extra wheels" which would build up energy without adding air resistance. And if we could design a car with many extra wheels it could build up enough energy to self sustain. I'm sure there's probably some obvious rule that doesn't let you do this but I've just been wondering about it for quite some time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcdanko said:
Okay I'm probably way out of my league here because in only 17 and this is my first post, but I was wondering about a self-sufficient car. I know putting a wind turbine on an automobile adds resistance which negates effect. However, a wind turbine builds energy just by spinning, and an automobile has 4 spinning wheels (2 axles). What if we could use the same mechanics of a wind turbine on any "extra wheels" which would build up energy without adding air resistance. And if we could design a car with many extra wheels it could build up enough energy to self sustain. I'm sure there's probably some obvious rule that doesn't let you do this but I've just been wondering about it for quite some time.

Welcome to the PF.

What you are asking about is a perpetual motion machine (PMM) or over-unity mechanism. They do not exist, and the PF rules do not allow discussions about them (even to debunk them) because it is a waste of time. The quote below from the PF Rules Forbidden Topics gives you some links you can follow to learn why they cannot exist:

PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

I learned that PMMs cannot work when my dad explained it to me when I was about 12. I was starting to build an unpowered jet turbine engine where the exhaust fan powered the intake fan. Okay dad, I get it now... :smile:

What is a self sufficient automobile?

A self sufficient automobile is a vehicle that is designed to operate without the need for external inputs, such as fuel or electricity, for extended periods of time.

How does a self sufficient automobile work?

A self sufficient automobile typically utilizes renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, to power its engine and other systems. This allows the vehicle to generate its own energy and operate without the need for traditional fuel sources.

What are the benefits of a self sufficient automobile?

There are several benefits of a self sufficient automobile, including reduced dependence on traditional fuel sources, lower emissions, and potentially lower operating costs. It also allows for increased mobility in remote or off-grid areas.

Are self sufficient automobiles currently available for purchase?

While there are currently no fully self sufficient automobiles available for purchase, there are several companies and researchers working on developing and testing prototypes. It is expected that self sufficient automobiles will become more widely available in the near future.

What are the challenges of creating a self sufficient automobile?

One of the main challenges of creating a self sufficient automobile is finding ways to store and utilize renewable energy efficiently. Other challenges include designing a reliable and durable system and ensuring that the vehicle meets safety and regulatory standards.