Is a Sliced Circle Segment Equivalent to Half an Ellipse?

• Thread starter bananabandana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, a segment of a circle is a portion of a circle bounded by a chord and an arc, while an ellipse is a flattened circle. The area of a segment of a circle is always less than the area of an ellipse with the same length of major and minor axes, and the length of the arc in a segment of a circle is only a portion of the circumference of an ellipse. To find the area of a segment of a circle, you can use the formula A = (θ/360)πr^2 - (1/2)r^2sin(θ), and it is possible for a segment of a circle and an ellipse to have the same area when the central angle of the segment is 180 degrees.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Is it true that the if you slice a circle into two segments, you can think of one of the pieces as being half an ellipse?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure, I was just thinking about this! Not really any idea how to proceed to a solution, or how I can apply the definition of an ellipse (fixed distance from foci..) to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
bananabandana said:

Homework Statement

Is it true that the if you slice a circle into two segments, you can think of one of the pieces as being half an ellipse?

Homework Equations

Not sure, I was just thinking about this! Not really any idea how to proceed to a solution, or how I can apply the definition of an ellipse (fixed distance from foci..) to solve.

You can think of a circle as an ellipse with both foci at the same point, if that's what you mean.

bananabandana said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

In general, the answer is no. Circles and ellipses have different curvature, although you can think of a circle as being a special case of an ellipse (one with both foci at the same place, the center).

Related to Is a Sliced Circle Segment Equivalent to Half an Ellipse?

1. What is the difference between a segment of a circle and an ellipse?

A segment of a circle is a portion of a circle that is bounded by a chord and an arc, while an ellipse is a shape that resembles a flattened circle. The segment of a circle is a two-dimensional figure, while an ellipse is a three-dimensional figure.

2. How is the area of a segment of a circle related to the area of an ellipse?

The area of a segment of a circle is always less than the area of an ellipse with the same length of major and minor axes. This is because the segment of a circle is a subset of the ellipse.

3. Is the length of the arc in a segment of a circle the same as the circumference of an ellipse?

No, the length of the arc in a segment of a circle is only a portion of the circumference of an ellipse. The circumference of an ellipse is equal to the perimeter of a circle with the same length of major and minor axes.

4. How do you find the area of a segment of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a segment of a circle is A = (θ/360)πr2 - (1/2)r2sin(θ), where θ is the central angle of the segment and r is the radius of the circle.

5. Can a segment of a circle and an ellipse have the same area?

Yes, it is possible for a segment of a circle and an ellipse to have the same area. This occurs when the central angle of the segment is equal to 180 degrees, making the segment a semicircle. The area of a semicircle is equal to half the area of the ellipse with the same length of major and minor axes.