Is a solid cylinder considered thick or thin?

A rod with a length of 14 mm and a diameter of 40 mm is considered thin if its thickness is less than 1/20 of its diameter. However, this 1/20 method only applies to hollow cylinders where the thickness can be determined by the difference in the inner and outer diameter. To determine if your solid cylinder is thin or thick, you cannot use the length as the thickness. It is possible that the thickness of your solid cylinder is 0, in which case it would be considered thin. If your solid cylinder is considered thick, plane stress approximations may not be appropriate. In summary, the thickness of a solid cylinder must be less than 1/20 of its diameter to be considered thin, but this method
yonese
I have a solid cylinder of diameter 40mm and length 14mm and I have used plane stress approximations in my calculations so far. I know for to assume a thin walled cylinder/tube the wall thickness needs to be less than 1/20 of tube or cylinder diameter. However, what I have found so far is that this 1/20 method applies to hollow cylinders where the thickness can be determined by the difference in the inner and outer diameter. How will I know whether my solid cylinder can be considered thin or thick? I'm guessing the length cannot be used as the thickness. Might it be that the thickness is ...0?

If my cylinder is to be considered thick, would plane stress approximations still be appropriate?

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a solid cylinder, what you have is a rod.

1. Is a solid cylinder considered thick or thin?

A solid cylinder can be considered thick or thin depending on its dimensions and the context in which it is being used. Generally, a solid cylinder with a large diameter and/or height would be considered thick, while one with a smaller diameter and/or height would be considered thin.

2. How do you determine if a solid cylinder is thick or thin?

The thickness of a solid cylinder can be determined by measuring its diameter and/or height and comparing it to other objects or standards. It is also important to consider the material and purpose of the cylinder when determining its thickness.

3. Is thickness the same as diameter or height for a solid cylinder?

No, thickness is not the same as diameter or height for a solid cylinder. Thickness refers to the distance between the inner and outer surfaces of the cylinder, while diameter is the distance across the widest part of the cylinder and height is the distance from one end to the other.

4. Does the thickness of a solid cylinder affect its strength?

Yes, the thickness of a solid cylinder can affect its strength. Generally, a thicker cylinder will be stronger and able to withstand more force or pressure than a thinner cylinder. However, other factors such as the material and shape of the cylinder also play a role in its strength.

5. Can a solid cylinder be both thick and thin?

Yes, a solid cylinder can be considered both thick and thin at the same time. This is because thickness is a relative term and can vary depending on the context and comparison being made. For example, a cylinder may be considered thick compared to a pencil but thin compared to a tree trunk.