Is Addition Associative? A Proof Using Induction

In summary, the homework equation states that if a natural number is raised to a power with another number, the result is the previous power plus the original number.
HMPARTICLE

Homework Statement

For any natural numbers a,b,c, we have (a+b) + c = a + (b + c)

Homework Equations

Definition 2.2.1

Let m be a natural number. To add zero to m, we define 0 + m := m. Now suppose inductively that we have defined how to add n to m. Them we can add n++ to m by defining (n++) + m := (n + m)++.

Lemma 2.2.2
For any natural number n, n + 0 = n.

Lemma 2.2.3
For any natural numbers n and m , n + (m++) = (n+m)++

The Attempt at a Solution

We shall use induction on (a+b)
First we do the base case, c = 0.

By the definition of addition 0 + (a+b) = (a+b), while by lemma 2.2.2 (a+b) + 0 = (a+b). Thus the base case is done. Now suppose inductively that c + (a+b) = (a+b) + c, Now to we have to prove that c++ + (a+b) = (a+b) + c++ to close the induction.
By the definition of addition, c++ + (a+b) = (a+b+c)++ and while by lemma 2.2.3 (a+b) + c++ = (a+b+c)++. This is equal to (a+b+c)++ by the inductive hypothesis c + (a+b) = (a+b) + c. Thus c++ + (a+b) = (a+b) + c++ . Also suppose inductively that a + (b+c) = (b+c) + a.
Now to we have to prove that a++ + (b+c) = (b+c) + a++ to close the induction.
By the definition of addition, a++ + (b+c) = (a+b+c)++ and while by lemma 2.2.3 (b+c) + a++ = (a+b+c)++. This is equal to (a+b+c)++ by the inductive hypothesis a + (b+c) = (b+c) + a. Thus a++ + (b+c) = (b+c) + a++.

so (a+b) + c++ = (a+b+c)++ and (b+c) + a++ = (a+b+c)++
Hence
(a+b) + c = a + (b + c)

----------------------------------------------------------
Now is this a correct proof? if so, is it a decent one. It seems to make sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be a little anxious about your use of '(a+b+c)', which is not well-defined.

Personally I would probably start from (a+b)+0 = a + (b+0) and run induction on that.

So instead of;
Now suppose inductively that c + (a+b) = (a+b) + c, Now to we have to prove that c++ + (a+b) = (a+b) + c++ to close the induction...

I would write;
Now suppose inductively that (a+b)+0 = a + (b+0), Now to we have to prove that (a+b) + 0++ = a + (b+0)++ to close the induction.
By the definition of addition, 0++ + (a+b) = 1 + (a+b) and while by lemma 2.2.3 (a+b) + 0++ = (a+b) + 1. This is equal to 1 + (a+b) . Also
suppose inductively that (b+0) + a = a + (b+0), Now to we have to prove that (b+0)++ + a = a++ + (b+0)++ to close the induction.
By the definition of addition, (b+0)++ + a = b + a + 1 and while by lemma 2.2.3 (b+0) + a++ = b + a + 1.
so (a+b) + 0++ = a + (b+0)++.
Therefore (a+b)+0 = a + (b+0) by mathematical induction.

How would i introduce c?

You can show that (a+b)+0 = a+(b+0) just by using Lemma 2.2.2 (twice)

What I'm suggesting is that you then show that [ (a+b)+c = a+(b+c) ] ⇒ [ (a+b)+(c++) = a+(b+(c++)) ] , which should just be a couple of uses of Lemma 2.2.3.

i see; from what you have said, this is what i have come up withFirst we show that (a+b) + 0 = a + (b+0)
By definition 2.2.1;
(a+b) +0 = a+b,
and by lemma 2.2.2
a + (b+0) = a+b.

Now we show that (a+b) + c = a + (b+c)
by lemma 2.2.3;
(a+b) + c++ = (a+b+c)++
also
a + (b+c)++ = (a+b+c)++

so (a+b) + c+ = a + (b+c)++ and by axiom 2.4 we deduce that (a+b) + c = a + (b+c).

Also thanks for being patient with me.

(a+b+c) still doesn't mean anything, you have to avoid using this formulation. It means that there is an extra step where you use the given statement of the inductive step.

Also you have to justify that a+(b+(c++)) = a+(b+c)++

Last edited:
thank you!

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for addition to be associative?

Associative property of addition means that the grouping of numbers being added does not change the result. In other words, changing the order in which the numbers are added does not change the sum.

2. How do you prove that addition is associative?

To prove that addition is associative, you need to show that for any three numbers a, b, and c, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c). This can be done by using algebraic manipulation and substitution to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

3. Can you provide an example of an associative addition proof?

Yes, for example, let a = 5, b = 3, and c = 2. Then, (a + b) + c = (5 + 3) + 2 = 8 + 2 = 10. And, a + (b + c) = 5 + (3 + 2) = 5 + 5 = 10. Therefore, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c) and addition is associative.

4. What is the importance of the associative property in addition?

The associative property allows us to group numbers in different ways when adding without changing the result. This simplifies calculations and makes them easier to solve. It is also a fundamental property in algebra and is used in more complex equations and proofs.

5. Is the associative property applicable to other mathematical operations?

Yes, the associative property also applies to multiplication and can be extended to other operations such as division and exponentiation. This property holds true for any operation that follows the commutative property, meaning the order of the numbers does not change the result.