Is age 40 too old to enter the AI/Machine Learning field

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Field
In summary: Java...In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a PhD in Computer Science to enter the artificial intelligence field, but is concerned about their age and mental peak. They have a background in data analysis and programming and are willing to do the necessary prerequisites. However, they are wondering if pursuing a PhD in statistics may be a better option due to overlap with machine learning. They are seeking advice and suggestions on the best path to take and are considering talking to advisors and schools for guidance.
FallenApple
Ok, some background. I'm nearing age 30. I have a degree in applied mathematics and masters in statistics. I'm thinking about entering the artificial intelligence field( maybe computer vision) by getting a PhD in Computer Science.

It's not like I'm starting from complete scratch as I have a background in data analysis and programming. However, I really want to become an expert in leading edge AI tech. So this requires that I do the prep work to be qualified to enter a PhD program. By the time I complete the prerequisites would already be about 2-3 years. A second bachleors if need be. Then I would have to finish the PhD on top of that. So being conservative, I would say late 30s early 40s is when I can enter industry.

At age 40, how far off would I be compared to my mental peak? Far enough to have a real world negative effect?

I would need to be able to hit the ground running at that age.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are as old as you let yourself be. I'm 66, just received my most recent patent last year, and have two more active patent applications. I can't have mentally deteriorated too much. Physically is a different matter...

Likes FallenApple
@FallenApple, since you already have a masters in statistics, why not consider pursuing a PhD in statistics? There is considerable overlap between statistics and machine learning -- in fact, within my alma mater, there are 2 active professors (and 1 just recently retired professor) who were cross-listed in both the statistics and CS departments. Plus you have people like Rob Tibshirani and Trevor Hastie at Stanford, or Mike Jordan and Peter Bartlett at Berkeley who are involved in research at the intersection of statistics and machine learning/AI -- they accept students from both their own statistics or CS departments, and they are far from being the only places that do so.

A PhD in statistics for someone like yourself may well require fewer prerequisites, and you are likely to complete the program more quickly than a PhD in computer science.

Last edited:
Likes FallenApple
And to address your specific concern about being too old for AI: one of my professors at my alma mater (the one I mentioned who has just recently retired) finished his PhD in Computer science when he was nearly 40, after working for years in industry. And he became a world-renowned researcher in machine learning/AI and statistics.

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~radford/cv.pdf

Last edited:
Likes FallenApple and atyy
StatGuy2000 said:
@FallenApple, since you already have a masters in statistics, why not consider pursuing a PhD in statistics? There is considerable overlap between statistics and machine learning -- in fact, within my alma mater, there are 2 active professors (and 1 just recently retired professor) who was cross-listed in both the statistics and CS departments. Plus you have people like Rob Tibshirani and Trevor Hastie at Stanford, or Mike Jordan and Peter Bartlett at Berkeley who are involved in research at the intersection of statistics and machine learning/AI -- they accept students from both their own statistics or CS departments, and they are far from being the only places that do so.

A PhD in statistics for someone like yourself may well require fewer prerequisites, and you are likely to complete the program more quickly than a PhD in computer science.

Ah ok. That makes sense. So it would make more sense for me to do the Stats Phd. I guess I would have to take CS courses on the side as well. Because I think I would need to specialize in a topic in order to properly do artificial intelligence. Such as computer vision or self driving cars.

FallenApple said:
Ah ok. That makes sense. So it would make more sense for me to do the Stats Phd. I guess I would have to take CS courses on the side as well. Because I think I would need to specialize in a topic in order to properly do artificial intelligence. Such as computer vision or self driving cars.

Please note that I was suggesting a possible pathway for you to pursue research in machine learning/AI based on your current background. I know for a fact that many statistics graduate programs offer flexibility to take CS courses on the side, and there is much overlap between statistics and CS in, say, machine learning.

That's not to say that you shouldn't try to pursue a CS PhD. That path is also open to you as well -- many CS graduate programs accept students from other related programs, and your undergraduate background in applied math is a good background for a CS PhD. You may have to take a few CS courses on the side, but I doubt you need to complete a second bachelors.

Try and talk to a few schools where you might be interested, or try and speak to advisors at your alma mater for some suggestions. Best of luck!

StatGuy2000 said:
Please note that I was suggesting a possible pathway for you to pursue research in machine learning/AI based on your current background. I know for a fact that many statistics graduate programs offer flexibility to take CS courses on the side, and there is much overlap between statistics and CS in, say, machine learning.

That's not to say that you shouldn't try to pursue a CS PhD. That path is also open to you as well -- many CS graduate programs accept students from other related programs, and your undergraduate background in applied math is a good background for a CS PhD. You may have to take a few CS courses on the side, but I doubt you need to complete a second bachelors.

Try and talk to a few schools where you might be interested, or try and speak to advisors at your alma mater for some suggestions. Best of luck!

Thanks, I will look into it. I guess the issue is that most of my programming experience came from my stats courses so on paper it seems like I've been only doing stats not programming despite the extensive experience.

I've only taken 3 CS/Programming courses. One in C++, one in Matlab and one in Machine Learning. Although I have done bootcamp work in data structures and algorithms.

I second everything Statguy has said here.

IMO don't back up too far, or spend too long in school. You're already on a good track to do this kind of work; grab the PhD, get some interesting projects/side-projects under your belt, and then get some real experience.

Likes StatGuy2000 and FallenApple

1. Is age 40 considered too old to start learning AI and machine learning?

No, age is not a barrier to learning any new skill, including AI and machine learning. With dedication and hard work, anyone can learn and excel in this field at any age.

2. Will my previous experience in a different field be a disadvantage in entering the AI and machine learning field at age 40?

No, your previous experience can actually be an advantage as it may provide you with a unique perspective and skills that can be applied in AI and machine learning. Additionally, many industries are incorporating AI and machine learning, making your previous experience valuable in this field.

3. Are there any age restrictions in the job market for AI and machine learning roles?

No, there are no age restrictions for job roles in AI and machine learning. Employers value skills and knowledge, not age. As long as you have the necessary skills and experience, you can enter the job market at any age.

4. Will it be challenging to learn AI and machine learning at age 40 compared to younger individuals?

Age does not determine the difficulty of learning AI and machine learning. The most important factors are dedication, motivation, and a strong foundation in mathematics and programming. With these, age becomes irrelevant.

5. Are there any resources available for individuals over 40 to learn AI and machine learning?

Yes, there are numerous resources available for individuals of all ages to learn AI and machine learning. Online courses, tutorials, and books are easily accessible and can provide a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques in this field.