Is AI going to be a banned topic?

• Thread starter Jarvis323
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the potential banning of AI as a topic on the forum due to the large number of substandard threads on the subject. The speaker suggests having only one thread for all AI discussions and expresses frustration with the arbitrary decision making and lack of productive discussion on the topic. The conversation also touches on a recent ban and perceived threats from a moderator, leading to the closure of the thread. The moderator advises those interested in discussing AI to search for existing threads on the topic.
Jarvis323
I seem to be getting in moderation trouble for talking about AI in an honest way. Is PF moving towards banning the topic? Where is this headed?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have far too many threads about AIs. And all are substandard as I haven't seen anybody with knowledge: no expertise on neural networks, no references to scientific articles, no programmers, nothing. Just copy and paste from pop science articles elsewhere. I even saw a thread (or two?) about consciousness. You can't even define what it is outside philosophy.

I think we should have exactly one single thread in "General Discussion" for anything about AI, or ChatGPT, or alike, as long as the words "neural network" aren't part of the first post.

Likes dextercioby, Vanadium 50, Bystander and 2 others
To be honest, I find most of the AI threads exhausting, but not bannable.

Likes James Scott Cahall, berkeman, Bystander and 2 others
In the thread that got me 10 day banned, and then not so slyly threatened by a moderator who made it clear he knows my identity and activity at other places, it doesn't seem clear to me how my posts were any more or less acceptable than the other's who disagreed with me and then moved to ban me for it.

There is a level of arbitrary decision making at the hands of somehow strongly opinionated people, and those opinions happen to be contrary to most of the mainstream opinions. So it leaves little room for much of a productive discussion.

Jarvis323 said:
In the thread that got me 10 day banned, and then not so slyly threatened by a moderator who made it clear he knows my identity and activity at other places, it doesn't seem clear to me how my posts were any more or less acceptable than the other's who disagreed with me and then moved to ban me for it.

There is an level arbitrary decision making at the hands of somehow strongly opinionated people, and those opinions happen to be contrary to most of the mainstream opinions. So it leaves little room for much of a discussion.
I wasn't involved so I had no idea what you are talking about. However, I looked up the first deleted post of yours on the matter and you surely do not want to discuss it on a linguistic level! Just a hint: sentences that start with "you" and end up with claiming what a thread is really about without being the thread owner is never a good idea. "You" sentences have a high risk of being offensive.

As this thread is obviously more about the temporary ban than it is about AI threads in general, I will close this now.

To any readers who are interested in discussing the AI subject: please have a forum search what we already are discussing.

Thank you.

Likes russ_watters