Is Air a Non-Newtonian Fluid at High Speeds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of Non-Newtonian fluids and how they differ from Newtonian fluids. It also mentions examples such as cornstarch in water and the behavior of fluids at high speeds. There is a debate about the effects of air resistance and whether it increases exponentially or linearly with speed. The conversation also touches on drag force and the factors that affect it, such as density, area, and velocity. Despite some disagreement, it is ultimately concluded that air (and water) behave as Newtonian fluids.
Anon1000
Hi guys,

I came upon a definition of Non Newtonian fluid that is any fluid which doesn't deform linearly with increasing stress. But then if you think about fluids, pretty much every fluid acts like this, depending on whether you're actually capable of generating enough force to see it happen. Water allows you to stir it pretty easily, but try to shoot a bullet into it, which has enormous speed and mass, and it stops in 2 feet straight. Air, especially when it comes to air resistance and cars, offers not just additional resistance, but exponentially additional resistance at speeds above 200mph, which is why cars need to jump an additional 200hp in power just to eek out an additional 5mph at a 250mph speed.

Anybody else confirm this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Even in the extreme conditions you describe, Newtonian fluids like water and air locally exhibit a stress tensor which is linearly dependent of the rate of deformation tensor.

Likes Asymptotic
Google says this:
A non-Newtonian fluid is a fluid whose viscosity is variable based on applied stress or force. The most common everyday example of a non-Newtonian fluid is cornstarch dissolved in water. Behavior of Newtonian fluids like water can be described exclusively by temperature and pressure.
Cornstarch dissolved in water is a fun example. You can easily submerge your hand in bowl of it with little resistance but if you try to "punch" your fist into it you don't get very far.
Google also says:
Fluids such as water, air, ethanol, and benzene are Newtonian. This means that a plot of shear stress versus shear rate at a given temperature is a straight line with a constant slope that is independent of the shear rate. We call this slope the viscosity of the fluid. All gases are Newtonian.
I am sure if you plotted a graph of horsepower to top speed for a given automobile you would get a reasonably straight line.

Likes Asymptotic
jerromyjon said:
I am sure if you plotted a graph of horsepower to top speed for a given automobile you would get a reasonably straight line.
Doesn't air resistance increase as the square of speed?

sandy stone said:
Doesn't air resistance increase as the square of speed?
At very low velocities where viscous stresses dominate, the drag force is proportional to speed.

Likes Asymptotic and jerromyjon
Chestermiller said:
At very low velocities where viscous stresses dominate, the drag force is proportional to speed.
I've been searching for clarification but have not found any, regarding air resistance as you approach mach speed. Is it true that as you approach mach speed there is increased resistance until you pass mach 1 (768mph)?

jerromyjon said:
I've been searching for clarification but have not found any, regarding air resistance as you approach mach speed. Is it true that as you approach mach speed there is increased resistance until you pass mach 1 (768mph)?
Are you talking about the drag coefficient?

Chestermiller said:
Yes, I think so. I was simply under the impression that air resistance increases drastically up to mach 1 and then it levels back down to a linear approximation...

Chestermiller said:
Even in the extreme conditions you describe, Newtonian fluids like water and air locally exhibit a stress tensor which is linearly dependent of the rate of deformation tensor.

Great, if I wanted to hear the official explanation all over again I'd go back to Google. Gee thanks.

jerromyjon said:
Google says this:

Cornstarch dissolved in water is a fun example. You can easily submerge your hand in bowl of it with little resistance but if you try to "punch" your fist into it you don't get very far.
Google also says:

PRECISELY, so doesn't water experience much of the same effects whether in a belly flop or when you try to shoot a bullet into it? If you put a voluminous enough surface into it at a high enough speed, you do see an exponential increase in force pushing back, i.e. a brick wall.

Chestermiller said:

Is that because nobody bothered to check with extremely precise instruments for a slight exponential decline in speed per force increase? You should be talking about all velocities, not just the low ones that would fit both a Newton and a non profile.

Anon1000 said:
Great, if I wanted to hear the official explanation all over again I'd go back to Google. Gee thanks.

PRECISELY, so doesn't water experience much of the same effects whether in a belly flop or when you try to shoot a bullet into it? If you put a voluminous enough surface into it at a high enough speed, you do see an exponential increase in force pushing back, i.e. a brick wall.

Drag force explains your examples.

FD=0.5(ρACDv2), where:

FD = Drag force
ρ(rho) = fluid mass density
A = cross-sectional area
CD = drag coefficient
v = velocity of object relative to fluid

Drag goes up dramatically
  • when transitioning from air to water (water is much higher in density than air)
  • when area is increased (the difference between a properly executed dive and belly flop).
  • when the object is moving fast (drag increases as the square of velocity)
It isn't because air (or water, for that matter) is behaving as a non-Newtonian fluid.

Likes Nidum
Most of the apparently high 'stiffness' of water when first impacted by a solid object traveling at high speed is due to simple inertia effects . Basically you have to move water out of the way for the object to enter the water . This means that you have to accelerate the water around the object . The higher the arrival velocity of the object the higher the acceleration of the water needed and the higher the reaction force on the object is .

Once the object has some or all of it's surface in the water then viscous drag effects also come into play .

(Very much simplified)

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic and Chestermiller
Anon1000 said:
reat, if I wanted to hear the official explanation all over again I'd go back to Google. Gee thanks.

And if I wanted to make sure I remained ignorant, I'd lead off by insulting the people who were trying to teach me something. Just sayin'.

You seem not to be asking questions any more, but instead are pushing the idea that air is non-Newtonian. There are two prongs to your argument - in #1 you are arguing that air does not meet your expectations for how a Newtonian fluid behaves, and Chestermiller has addressed that. The second, somewhat contradictory prong is #10, where you ask about extremely subtle deviations from Newtonian behavior. This is true, there are small deviations (air is made of molecules, not a continuous fluid) but this is the same argument used against the idealizations of frictionless surfaces, stretchless ropes, ideal gasses perfect resistors, etc. Technically true, but utterly sterile when it comes to understanding nature.

Likes Asymptotic and Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
The more I think about it the more I think it is turbulence I was asking about...

jerromyjon said:
The more I think about it the more I think it is turbulence I was asking about...
Well, that’s very different from talking about non-Newtonian behavior. Newtonian fluids certainly do exhibit turbulent flow at high Reynolds numbers.

Likes jerromyjon

1. Is air considered a non-Newtonian fluid?

No, air is not a non-Newtonian fluid. It is classified as a Newtonian fluid, meaning its viscosity (resistance to flow) remains constant regardless of the force applied.

2. What is a non-Newtonian fluid?

A non-Newtonian fluid is a type of fluid that does not follow the traditional Newtonian relationship between shear stress and strain rate. This means that its viscosity changes depending on the force applied to it.

3. Can air exhibit non-Newtonian behavior?

Although air itself is not a non-Newtonian fluid, it can exhibit non-Newtonian behavior when mixed with other substances, such as polymers, at high velocities or pressures.

4. What is an example of a non-Newtonian fluid?

Some common examples of non-Newtonian fluids include ketchup, toothpaste, and blood. These substances have a varying degree of viscosity depending on the force applied to them.

5. How is the viscosity of a non-Newtonian fluid measured?

The viscosity of a non-Newtonian fluid is measured using a rheometer, which applies a known force to the fluid and measures its resulting strain rate. The resulting data can then be used to determine the fluid's viscosity under different conditions.