Non-Newtonian Fluids: Understanding Strength for Armor Experiments

• Thread starter tkav1980
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary: You can't include words like "and" or "the" in your search. For example, if you wanted to find all patents that mentioned bulletproof liquid armor, you would type "bulletproof liquid armor" in the search box and hit the "enter" key. You would then get a list of all the patents that mention that phrase. If you wanted to see the patents that mentioned bulletproof liquid armor in conjunction with "the United States," you would need to change the search term to "bulletproof liquid armor United States."
tkav1980
Hello,
It's been some time since I've visited and the nature of my question could cover engineering, physics or chemistry so I'm unsure where exactly to post it. I hope here is ok.

I don't have the education to understand any published research on the topic and I hope someone here can provide a relatively simple answer.

I'm looking for information on non Newtonian fluids and what they could be made from that would have much higher strength than cornstarch and water. The purpose is to perform a bit of an experiment where the fluid would be placed between 2 plates of different steels, one hardned and one softer to find out what capability a dragon scale style body armor made this way would have against various rounds.

I know there was a polish company back in 2015 developing this type of soft armor but the patented compound they developed is not available for sale.

This is for a video I'm shooting to see if something like this would work as well as level 3 and 3A manufactured armor plates and how big/thick it would need to be made to provide the same level of protection.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tkav1980 said:
I know there was a polish company back in 2015 developing this type of soft armor but the patented compound they developed is not available for sale.
Do you have a link to a copy of that patent, or other patents in the field?

Baluncore said:
Do you have a link to a copy of that patent, or other patents in the field?
I don't. I found several articles referencing it.
https://www.popsci.com/poland-develops-bulletproof-liquid-armor/
I'm not sure this is the same thing but google was able to provide this link. it looks similar to what Moratex produced from the information I could find.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7226878B2/en
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259899898_SHEAR_THICKENING_FLUIDS_BASED_ON_NANOSIZED_SILICA_SUSPENSIONS_FOR_ADVANCED_BODY_ARMOUR

There's hundreds of videos on homemade body armor and even attempts at using oobleck but I haven't seen anyone attempt it with any other sheer thickening fluids. I thought it would make for an interesting video.

Patents are always a good place to look for the type of information you are looking for. Now that you have one patent, you can search the patents referenced by that patent, and the patents that reference that patent. Several of those patents mention shear thickening fluids in their titles, others in the body of the patent. Read those carefully because they should have recipes for the fluids.

If you have a company name, you can search for patents assigned to that company. I like to use the U.S. Patent Office site for those searches: https://patft.uspto.gov/. It's an excellent site, but you need to be careful because it is a pure Boolean search.

Likes tkav1980

1. What is a non-Newtonian fluid?

A non-Newtonian fluid is a type of fluid that does not follow the traditional laws of viscosity, which state that the viscosity (or resistance to flow) of a fluid is constant regardless of the applied force. Non-Newtonian fluids can change their viscosity when subjected to different forces or stresses.

2. How are non-Newtonian fluids used in armor experiments?

Non-Newtonian fluids are used in armor experiments to simulate the behavior of body fluids, such as blood, in order to test the effectiveness of different types of armor. This allows scientists to better understand how armor can protect against different types of impacts and forces.

3. What types of non-Newtonian fluids are commonly used in armor experiments?

The most commonly used non-Newtonian fluids in armor experiments are shear-thinning fluids, which decrease in viscosity when subjected to shear stress, and shear-thickening fluids, which increase in viscosity when subjected to shear stress. These types of fluids mimic the behavior of body fluids and allow for more accurate testing of armor strength.

4. How does the strength of non-Newtonian fluids affect the results of armor experiments?

The strength of non-Newtonian fluids can greatly impact the results of armor experiments. If the fluid is too weak, it may not accurately simulate the behavior of body fluids and could lead to incorrect conclusions about the effectiveness of different armor materials. On the other hand, if the fluid is too strong, it may not accurately reflect the behavior of body fluids and could also skew the results of the experiment.

5. What are the limitations of using non-Newtonian fluids in armor experiments?

While non-Newtonian fluids are a useful tool in armor experiments, they also have some limitations. These fluids may not perfectly mimic the behavior of body fluids, and their properties can change over time or with different environmental conditions. Additionally, the cost and availability of these fluids can also be a limiting factor in conducting experiments.