Is an Automated Tapping Device the Solution to My Flowmeter Issue?

In summary, a device that can be used to simulate someone tapping with a wrench every 20 minutes can be found, but it is not necessary to replace the rotameter. If the problem at the location where the rotameter is malfunctioning is fixed, the tapping workaround no longer needs to be used.
Rohan Gupta
I am looking for some device that can emulate someone tapping with a wrench every 20 minutes.

More specifically, I have noticed that in my application, my flowmeters (rotameters) are dropping over time. As a workaround I have been able to tap them with a wrench every 20 to 30 minutes, this causes the rotameters to rise back up to their original flow rate reading. The fluid in this case is chilled city water.

The device I am looking for must be small and not take too much space.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rohan Gupta said:
I am looking for some device that can emulate someone tapping with a wrench every 20 minutes.

More specifically, I have noticed that in my application, my flowmeters (rotameters) are dropping over time. As a workaround I have been able to tap them with a wrench every 20 to 30 minutes, this causes the rotameters to rise back up to their original flow rate reading. The fluid in this case is chilled city water.

The device I am looking for must be small and not take too much space.

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

If you replace one of the problematic rotameters, does the problem at that location go away? How many of them do you need to replace so that this temporary tapping work-around is no longer needed? :smile:

Well I haven't heard of that problem for a long time ! Years ago when most process gauging was mechanical the gauges often got stuck or drifted away from the true reading and had to be 'reset' by tapping .

As Berkeman suggests solving the actual problem of why your rotameters malfunction is the best way to go .

If you actually want a tapper then the well known solenoid and bell clapper will do what you want . Simple stand alone timer or drive from a nearby PC .

Just for interest - the solenoid and bell clapper in miniature form was used as a decoherer in very early radio receivers .

Nidum said:
decoherer in very early radio receivers
I had to look that one up! :smile:

Likes Nidum

What is an Automated Tapping Device?

An Automated Tapping Device is a type of machine or tool that is designed to tap or strike a surface repeatedly and consistently without the need for manual input. It is often used in industries where precise tapping is required, such as in manufacturing or laboratory settings.

How does an Automated Tapping Device work?

An Automated Tapping Device typically uses a motor or pneumatic mechanism to create a repetitive tapping motion. This can be controlled by a timer or other programmable settings to ensure consistency and accuracy in the tapping process.

What are the benefits of using an Automated Tapping Device?

Using an Automated Tapping Device can save time and improve efficiency in tasks that require repeated tapping. It can also reduce the risk of human error and provide more consistent results compared to manual tapping. Additionally, it can be used for longer periods of time without causing strain or fatigue on the user.

What industries use Automated Tapping Devices?

Automated Tapping Devices are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, electronics, automotive, aerospace, and medical. They can also be found in research laboratories and other settings where precise tapping is required.

Are there different types of Automated Tapping Devices?

Yes, there are various types of Automated Tapping Devices, including handheld devices, desktop models, and larger industrial machines. They can also vary in terms of their tapping force, speed, and customization options. It is important to choose the right type of device for your specific needs and applications.