Is anthropogenic global warming a scientific theory?

In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of whether anthropogenic global warming is a scientific theory and the importance of falsifiability in determining this. The discussion also touched on the difference between a projection and a prediction, with the example of the IPCC's climate models only making projections. The conversation also mentioned the relevance of thermodynamics in climate modeling and invited different views on the criterion of falsifiability. Ultimately, the thread was closed and redirected to a different topic.
Terry Oldberg
Earlier today, I posted on this issue and a lively discussion ensued. I'm happy to have received several responses. As I recall, each of these took issue with one or more of my posting's claims.

An administrator inadvertently deleted the thread of our conversation before this conversation reached maturity. Herein, I attempt to restore this thread and solicit responses on it.

It has often been argued that anthropogenic global warming (AGM) is "real" because a "consensus" of scientists support belief in it. Under the methdology of science, though, AGM is an example of a theory. Is this theory a scientific theory? This issue is the topic of this thread.

Many people argue that AGM is a scientific theory because it is favored by "the consensus" of scientists. In making this argument, these people invoke the logical fallacy of argument from authority; the authorities are the scientists that belong to "the consensus". Many distinguished scientists and scientific organizations belong to "the consensus." Whether "the consensus" represents the view of most scientists is a topic of debate.

This debate is interesting but irrelevant. Under the methodology of science, the mark of a theory is not that it is favored by "the consensus" but rather that it is: a) falsifiable and b) not falsified in repeated trials. Is the theory of AGM falsifiable?

The theory of AGM is principally manifested in the climate models that are referenced by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in its 2007 report. According to the noted climatologist Kevin Trenberth ( "http://blogs.nature.com/climatefeedback/recent_contributors/kevin_trenberth/" ), these models do not make predictions. It follows that: a) the IPCC's models are not falsifiable and b) the IPCC's models are not scientific models, by the definiition of "scientific."

A point of confusion seems to be that the IPCC's models make what the IPCC describes as "projections." A "projection" is a mathematical function that maps the time to the computed global average temperature. A "prediction" is a proposition that states the outcome of a statistical event. The descriptions of a "projection" and a "prediction" differ; only a prediction supports falsifiability.

The following fictional example illustrates the difference between a "projection" and a "prediction." Suppose that on December 31, 2020 at 24:00 hours Greenwich Mean Time, the global average temperature is measured as 16.3901. At the same time, a model projects that the temperature is 17.3327. Is this model falsified by the evidence or is it not falsified? This question cannot be answered, for the details of the associated statistical event are not described.

Climatology is not about the instantaneous values of variables but rather is about about the average values of these variables over time. In the description of the event that is associated with the prediction of temperature, a starting point is to describe the period over which the temperature is averaged.

Let us suppose this period is specified. Then, the model projection of 17.3327 on December 31, 2020 at 24:00 GMT must be compared with the average over this period.

Now, let us suppose that, over this period, the measured temperature was 17.3302. Does the computed temperature of 17.3327 falsify the model? This question cannot be answered, for the various outcomes of the associated event have not yet been specified.

One possibility is for the outcomes to be defined as temperatures. If this is the case, the model is invalidated, for the computed temperature of 17.3327 differs from the measured temperature of 17.3302.

Another possibility is for the outcomes to be defined as ranges of temperatures in the sequence 17.3-17.4, 17.4-17.5... In this case, the model is not invalidated, for the projected and measured temperatures fall within the same range.

Hopefully, the foregoing exposition provides a sense of the difference between a "projection" and a "prediction." A projection references a statistical event but a projection does no such thing. Predictions are necessary for a model to be falsified but the IPCC's models make "projections."

In the reality of scientific investigation, to define an event entails complexities that are additional to the ones I've addressed. I defer elaboration of these complexities until someone asks me about them.

One responder to my posting to the now closed thread takes issue with falsifiability as the criterion by which a theory may be identifed as "scientific" or otherwise. Falsifiability is identified as this criterion by the philosopher of science Karl Popper. As I understand it, Popper's criterion is accepted by virtually all modern scientists and philosophers. If the responder has a different view, I'd like to hear about it.

Another responder seems to claim that the thermodynamics of radiative physics prove the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis. In science, though, no theory can be proved right. Theories can only be proved wrong. The thermodynamics of radiative physics are a theory and not a fact.

More importantly, thermodynamics is of limited utility in modeling the climate, for thermodynamics describes nature only at thermodynamic equilibrium but the climate system is far from equilibrium. Among the many phenomena at disequilibrium are the albedos (reflectivities of solar radiation) of clouds and the viscosities of fluids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I am sorry, but I do not understand why you could not read and contribute to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=357365".

It is close enough in topic to cover what you are saying. You might even try reading some of the posts, you may learn something.

The posts resulting from your necropost have been moved to the thread linked to above.
I am closing this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your thorough and thought-provoking post. I agree that the issue of falsifiability is crucial in determining whether a theory is truly scientific. The example you provided of the IPCC's climate models only making projections and not predictions is a compelling argument for the lack of falsifiability in the theory of AGM.

I also appreciate your explanation of the difference between a projection and a prediction. It's important to distinguish between the two in order to properly evaluate the validity of a scientific model.

I am also interested in hearing from anyone who may have a different view on the criterion of falsifiability. It's important to have a well-rounded discussion and consider different perspectives.

As for the responder who claims that the thermodynamics of radiative physics prove AGM, I agree with you that no theory can be definitively proven right. It's important to constantly question and test theories, rather than accept them as absolute truths.

Thank you again for your contribution to this discussion and for shedding light on the complexities of defining a scientific theory. I look forward to hearing more from you and other users on this topic.

1. What is anthropogenic global warming?

Anthropogenic global warming refers to the phenomenon of the Earth's average temperature increasing due to human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes. These activities release large amounts of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, into the atmosphere, which trap heat and contribute to the warming of the planet.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support anthropogenic global warming?

Yes, there is overwhelming scientific evidence from multiple sources, including temperature records, ice core samples, and satellite data, that shows the Earth's temperature has been steadily rising since the Industrial Revolution. This increase is directly correlated with the increase in greenhouse gas emissions from human activities.

3. Is anthropogenic global warming a scientific theory?

Yes, anthropogenic global warming is a widely accepted scientific theory. A scientific theory is an explanation for a phenomenon that is supported by a substantial amount of evidence from multiple studies and has been extensively tested and validated by the scientific community. The theory of anthropogenic global warming has been rigorously tested and has withstood scrutiny from scientists around the world.

4. Are there any opposing views to the theory of anthropogenic global warming?

While the overwhelming majority of scientists agree that anthropogenic global warming is a real and significant threat, there are a few individuals and organizations who dispute this theory. However, their arguments are not supported by the vast amount of scientific evidence and are not accepted by the scientific community.

5. What are the potential consequences of anthropogenic global warming?

The consequences of anthropogenic global warming are numerous and wide-ranging. They include rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in weather patterns, loss of biodiversity, and negative impacts on human health and economies. Taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of global warming is crucial to preventing these consequences from becoming even more devastating in the future.