Is Beta Decay Happening Inside My Glow-in-the-Dark Key Chain Made of Plexiglass?

In summary, the conversation discusses a glow-in-the-dark key chain made of solid plexiglass with a hollow cylinder containing tritium. The question is raised about potential radiation from beta decay, but it is confirmed that the key chain is fully contained and safe for sale. The conversation also mentions the key chain's glow decreasing over time due to tritium decays, sparking the idea of tracking its glow over the years.
SigurdScience
Hi, I recently bought a glow-in-the-dark key chain, similar to http://tinyurl.com/zqf5sxb (image link). It is made from solid plexiglass, with a hollow cylinder in the middle, containing tritium. The electrons from the beta decay presumably hit a fluorescent wall on the inside of the cylinder, making the thing glow. Really cool!

My question is: should I worry about beta decay happening inside 3-6 mm of plexiglass?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is fully contained even by the first 0.1 millimeters. Tritium decays are very low-energetic.

If any relevant radiation could get out, they couldn't sell those key chains.

Likes SigurdScience
mfb said:
It is fully contained even by the first 0.1 millimeters. Tritium decays are very low-energetic.

If any relevant radiation could get out, they couldn't sell those key chains.
Thank you! I just wanted to be responsible and check it out. And now I am part of this awesome forum! =D

Likes vanhees71, Greg Bernhardt and mfb
Just be aware that it will glow about half as much in 12 years ... :rolleyes:

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
Just be aware that it will glow about half as much in 12 years ... :rolleyes:
Yep, I want to track it over the years. Maybe I should buy one every 12 years for fun. Adding it to my calendar now ;)

Likes stoomart

1. What is beta decay and how does it work?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron. This process results in the transformation of a neutron into a proton or vice versa, thereby changing the atomic number of the nucleus. Beta decay allows unstable atoms to become stable by releasing excess energy.

2. What is plexiglass and how is it related to beta decay?

Plexiglass, also known as acrylic, is a type of plastic that is commonly used as a radiation shield. It is made of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) and is transparent, lightweight, and impact-resistant. In nuclear facilities, plexiglass is used to encase radioactive materials and protect workers from radiation. Its high molecular weight and density make it an effective barrier against beta particles emitted during beta decay.

3. What are the dangers of exposure to beta particles?

Beta particles can be harmful to living organisms if they are emitted in large quantities or are ingested. They can cause damage to cells and tissues, leading to radiation sickness or an increased risk of developing cancer. However, beta particles are relatively weak and can be easily shielded by materials such as plexiglass.

4. Can plexiglass completely block beta particles?

No, plexiglass cannot completely block beta particles. While it is an effective shield against low-energy beta particles, high-energy beta particles can penetrate through plexiglass. Therefore, thicker and denser shields, such as lead or concrete, are needed for more powerful sources of beta particles.

5. How is plexiglass used in nuclear medicine?

Plexiglass is commonly used in the production and handling of radioactive materials for medical purposes. It is used to encase and transport radioactive substances, as well as to provide shielding for medical personnel during procedures. Additionally, plexiglass is used in imaging equipment, such as PET and SPECT scanners, to collimate and focus the emitted radiation for more accurate imaging.