Is Bulb B the Brightest When the Capacitor Has Half its Maximum Charge?

In summary, the problem is giving the respondent a headache, but they are able to come up with equations using Kirchhoff's Voltage and Current laws. They suspect that there is no current in the closed circuit that includes bulb C, and that the potential difference across the capacitor is 55V.
hawkbyte
SOLVED - RC Circuit - Question

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5585/bulbd.th.jpg

This problem is giving me a headache. I feel certain that bulb B is the brightest when the capacitor has half its maximum charge. However, I am having a hard time coming up with equations for the circuit using Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws.

I do know that if the capacitor had its maximum charge then there would be no current in the right hand circuit. But I am a little unsure what is going on under the declared condition. I suspect that there is no current in the closed circuit that includes bulb C. And the fact that the capacitor has half its maximum charge means that the potential difference is 55V across the capacitor.

I would love a nudge in the right direction... I am stuck. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Hawkbyte. You have an interesting question. Yes, ignore bulb C - it is shorted out. You'll have to figure out the charge on that capacitor to be sure of your answer. I see the capacitor taking a high current initially, gradually charging up and the current gradually diminishing to zero. At that point it has its max charge and it is easy to calculate because the capacitor acts like an infinite resistance. From the V, you can figure out the C. Then reverse that to get the V when the C is halved.

Since the capacitor is at 50% of its maximum charge, then the potential difference across its plates is 55V. Does that mean that I would apply that 55V to the entire closed loop that contains bulb A and the capacitor? Would I treat bulb A as a resistor in series with C? Again, the geometry of this circuit is confusing me.

I am not after exact values, I just want to see hard evidence of the fact that more current is moving through bulb B.

At FULL charge, zero current, the voltage across the capacitor is 55.
That is Q = CV = 55C. Half charge is 27.5*C. So the voltage across the capacitor (and bulb A) is V = Q/C = 27.5*C/C = 27.5. That leaves a higher voltage across bulb B so your intuition was right on.

Aye, aye... thanks very much for your assistance!

Related to Is Bulb B the Brightest When the Capacitor Has Half its Maximum Charge?

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or in parallel. It is used to control the flow of electrical current and is commonly used in electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of an RC circuit?

The purpose of an RC circuit is to control the flow of electrical current, either by blocking or allowing the flow of current. It can also be used to filter out certain frequencies of AC signals, and is commonly used in timing circuits.

3. How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, the resistor and capacitor work together to control the flow of electrical current. The resistor limits the flow of current, while the capacitor stores electrical charge. When the capacitor is fully charged, it will block the flow of current, but when it is discharged, current can flow through the circuit.

4. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads (RC = R x C).

5. How can I calculate the voltage or current in an RC circuit?

To calculate the voltage or current in an RC circuit, you can use the equations V = V0(1 - e-t/RC) or I = I0e-t/RC, where V0 and I0 are the initial voltage and current, t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.