Is Calculus Just an Extension of Pre-Calculus?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculas
In summary: In my precalculus class a while back I studied derivatives at the very end of the course. However, most of single-var. differential calculus was actually taught in calc. 1. Is this similar to what you're thinking of?In short, yes, if you are studying derivatives at the end of Precalculus, it will be very similar to studying calculus. However, the concepts and applications will be much more in-depth, and may require more algebraic skills than what is typically covered in a Precalculus course.
Line
I've studied Pre-Calculas with derivitaves and all but not Calculas. Is it that much different from Precal or is it about the same as Precal?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "Pre-Calculus with derivatives". That sounds like at least the first part of Calclulus! You do need to be very, very good at algebra in order to do calculus so "pre-calculus" typically involves a lot of algebra. How much like or unlike calculus it is depends a lot on the particular course. Some of the concepts in calculus, particularly those involving limits, are very subtle and very different from "before calculus" courses.

Just what does a typical Calculas course consist of?

Line said:
Just what does a typical Calculas course consist of?

• Limits and Rates of Change
    Derivatives
    Applications of Derivatives
    Antiderivatives,Integrals, Definite Integrals, indefinite integrals
    Applications of Integration

Thats a typical of topics for calculus 1.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "Pre-Calculus with derivatives". That sounds like at least the first part of Calclulus! You do need to be very, very good at algebra in order to do calculus so "pre-calculus" typically involves a lot of algebra. How much like or unlike calculus it is depends a lot on the particular course. Some of the concepts in calculus, particularly those involving limits, are very subtle and very different from "before calculus" courses.
In my precalculus class a while back I studied derivatives at the very end of the course. However, most of single-var. differential calculus was actually taught in calc. 1. Is this similar to what you're thinking of?

Alex

Where I teach we have a sequence entitled "Calculus with Precalculus I-II". I don't know how common it is, but basically it has all the material from Precalculus and Calculus I folded in together. The idea is that you learn a that bit of Precalc that you need for a particular Calc unit, right before you need it.

Maybe that's what the OP is getting at.

I got Precal but is Calculas much harder?

Line said:
I got Precal but is Calculas much harder?

You won't know until you try it :P
But I think most people would agree that of all the "post-precal" mathematics, calculus would be the easiest, even in vector form.

I know a lot of kids who took precalc , which isn't really all that worthwhile IMAO ,... i didn't do it, I just went to calc ... and the kids struggled a little, but it was only because the stuff was new to them .. like precalculus didn't really give them skills to be used in calculus.. then again they also didn't cover the state standards and stuff, so maybe i was better off ...

I need a website that explains Calculus.

Here is a good website on calulus 1 and 2 topics. http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/

Here is one for calc 3 stuff
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBrowsers/2415/2415.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Line said:
I've studied Pre-Calculas with derivitaves and all but not Calculas. Is it that much different from Precal or is it about the same as Precal?

Upon the schedual of the pre-cal classes, most teacher would introduce the definition of derivative by using limit. Moreover, I assume that they will not go into power rule and anything beyond.

1. What is the main difference between Pre-Calculus and Calculus?

The main difference between Pre-Calculus and Calculus is that Pre-Calculus is a preparatory course for Calculus. It covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and geometry, which are essential for understanding Calculus. Calculus, on the other hand, is a more advanced branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation.

2. Is Pre-Calculus a necessary prerequisite for Calculus?

Yes, Pre-Calculus is a necessary prerequisite for Calculus. Without a strong understanding of the concepts covered in Pre-Calculus, it can be challenging to grasp the concepts in Calculus. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry before taking Calculus.

3. What are some of the topics covered in Pre-Calculus?

Some of the topics covered in Pre-Calculus include functions, quadratic equations, logarithms, trigonometry, and vectors. These topics are essential for understanding the concepts in Calculus.

4. How is Calculus different from other branches of mathematics?

Calculus is different from other branches of mathematics because it focuses on the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and accumulation. It is also used in many fields of science and engineering, making it a crucial tool in these areas.

5. What are some real-life applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of objects, calculating the area and volume of irregular shapes, optimizing processes in economics and engineering, and determining the growth and decay of populations. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to understand natural phenomena.