Is Canada a cesspool filled with violent criminals?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary, the article discusses the differences between crime rates in Canada and the United States. Although Canada has a higher rate of violent crimes per 100,000 people, the murder rate in the United States is much higher. The article also mentions that this difference may be due to the fact that the United States has a larger population and more violent crimes go unreported.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
There seems to be this assumption that Canada has a lower crime rate than the US, but I can't find any statistics to support that assumption.

In http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050721/d050721a.htm , Canada had 946 violent crimes per 100k.

In that same year of 2004, USA had http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/4meastab.htm violent crimes per 100k (divide 1,648,100 by 301 million then multiply by 100k).

Canadians are twice as violent as Americans? Did I take the wrong stats or did I miscalculate something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take into account the number of crimes that go unreported (a greater percentage in denser inner cities) plus a difference in what constitutes "violet crimes," and I think you will find that Canada, like the US, is full of humans.

I thought the major difference touted was between murder rates, or at least gun-related murder rates.

Of course, I have no idea what those rates are for the respective countries and make no personal claim as to which is higher.

loseyourname said:
I thought the major difference touted was between murder rates, or at least gun-related murder rates.

Of course, I have no idea what those rates are for the respective countries and make no personal claim as to which is higher.

Well I guess that one makes sense. That first link says Canada's rate is 2 per 100k. In 2002 the murder rate in USA was http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/hmrttab.htm

Chi Meson said:
Still, it's nothing like Scotland, evidently.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

Too funny! There was an old SNL skit in which two Scotsmen would come to blows at the drop of a hat. And beyond that, we knew two Scotsmen who were twin brothers who would in fact fight over just about anything. Even at age sixty+ they were known to duke it out while rolling around in the dirt.

Aside: They were both sheep farmers, and one was well known as one of the nation's leading Border Collie trainers. He was absolutely amazing to watch working his dogs.

I fear more and more that Canada's "inferiority complex" will eventually cause an explosion of violent crime. I'm talking specifically about gangs and drug-dealing and skinheads and all these stupid "scenes."

Some of my friends are into these things and there seems to be this tacit "we can be harder and tougher" or "our ghettos can be just as bad" thing going on, which I find stupid and childish, but there it is.

moe darklight said:
I fear more and more that Canada's "inferiority complex" will eventually cause an explosion of violent crime. I'm talking specifically about gangs and drug-dealing and skinheads and all these stupid "scenes."

Some of my friends are into these things and there seems to be this tacit "we can be harder and tougher" or "our ghettos can be just as bad" thing going on, which I find stupid and childish, but there it is.

I don't get competition mentalities like these. Who would WANT the award for worst ghettos, seriously? It's like being proud you got the award for worst smelling individual. No one wants that!

G01 said:
I don't get competition mentalities like these. Who would WANT the award for worst ghettos, seriously? It's like being proud you got the award for worst smelling individual. No one wants that!

I think it's a natural progression from counterculture that started with hippies in the 60s. They're just trying to out-non-conform each other.

Ivan Seeking said:
Too funny! There was an old SNL skit in which two Scotsmen would come to blows at the drop of a hat. And beyond that, we knew two Scotsmen who were twin brothers who would in fact fight over just about anything. Even at age sixty+ they were known to duke it out while rolling around in the dirt.
It's simply evolution at work. It's so bloody cold in Scotland they fight to keep warm. This has made aggression a desirable gene.

Plus of course they have to keep in practice for their next tilt at the English :biggrin:

If it's not Scottish it's crap!

http://farm.tucows.com/2004/11/angry_scotsmen.jpg

it seems to only happen in T.O and maybe van(via TOstar anyways)
I wonder if there are stats posted that shows percentage by city

Smurf said:
I think it's a natural progression from counterculture that started with hippies in the 60s. They're just trying to out-non-conform each other.
Yep. It sounds ridiculous but it's just like that. Constantly trying to prove that you're more punk/ghetto/hardcore or whatever. It's funny when it's harmlessly ironic (like the goth kids from "Southpark" say: "If you want to be a non-conformist, you have to look like us, think like us, and listen to the same music we do" :biggrin:), but it's not so funny when it's dangerous.

neurocomp2003 said:
it seems to only happen in T.O and maybe van
I'm from hamilton and it's felt here. It's not as bad as the TV and newspapers say it is. I'm not concerned about how it is now, I'm concerned about where it could (and knowing human nature, probably will) end up. ... but Hamilton is in the TO area so I don't know about the rest of Canada.

Of course, being from Ontario, I just found out recently about the existence of this mysterious "rest of Canada" :biggrin:

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
Of course, being from Ontario, I just found out recently about the existence of this mysterious "rest of Canada" :biggrin:

Where's Ontario? Is that one of the American states or something?

Related to Is Canada a cesspool filled with violent criminals?

1. Is Canada really a cesspool filled with violent criminals?

No, Canada is not a cesspool filled with violent criminals. While every country has its share of crime, Canada has a lower crime rate compared to many other countries. According to the 2019 Global Peace Index, Canada ranks 6th out of 163 countries in terms of safety and security.

2. Are the crime rates in Canada increasing or decreasing?

The crime rates in Canada have been steadily decreasing over the years. According to Statistics Canada, the overall crime rate in Canada has decreased by 17% since 2009. This includes a decrease in violent crimes such as homicide, assault, and robbery.

3. Are there any cities in Canada with high crime rates?

Just like any other country, there are some cities in Canada that may have higher crime rates compared to others. However, the crime rates in these cities are still relatively low compared to cities in other countries. Some cities that may have higher crime rates include Toronto, Winnipeg, and Vancouver.

4. Is Canada a safe place to live and visit?

Yes, Canada is generally considered a safe place to live and visit. The country has a stable government, a strong economy, and a well-functioning justice system. However, it is always important to exercise caution and common sense, just like in any other country.

5. What is being done to address crime in Canada?

The Canadian government has implemented various measures to address crime in the country. This includes investing in crime prevention programs, increasing police presence in high-crime areas, and implementing stricter gun control laws. The government also works closely with community organizations and law enforcement agencies to address and prevent crime.